Do employers do employment verification before or after they interview you?

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 03:21 pm
I'm applying for a 2nd job at the mall. So far, I applied to Macy's and Victoria's Secret. I'm also currently working at McDonald's, which I'm NOT planning of quitting. If one of these 2 places accepts me, I'll work 2 jobs at the same time to make up for my lack of hours at McD's. I just want to know when it's the best time to break the news to my current employer bc I want to do that b4 Macy's or Victoria's Secret does. When I do it, what exactly do I say?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 6,820 • Replies: 7
No top replies

chai2

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 03:47 pm
McDonalds doesn't need to know you are taking a 2nd job.

When you apply, give them the general Human Resources number for McDonalds, not the number of the location you work at.

Human Resources gets requests for this all the time, and I'm sure they aren't going to call your manager to tell them.

In any event, the company you're applying with won't check your work record until after you are made an offer. It costs them money to do a background check, and they won't check you out until you accept a position.

Good luck.
sullyfish6

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 06:51 pm
No one can blame you for seeking another job, due to cut in hours at the first job.

Good luck. I admire people who take second jobs to make ends meet. It's not easy.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 09:41 pm
@chai2,
When she fills out the application she should list that she is currently working, though, because it will effect the hours she is available to work at the second job.

I'd just tell your manager that you're looking for a second job to supplement your income. Most employers don't have a problem with that. Sometimes they will even find a way to increase the hours they can offer you -- IF you've been a good employee and have proven your worth to the company. Companies would always rather retain a good employee than have to hire and train an unknown. Employee retention saves a bundle.

Make sure your McD's manager knows you don't intend to leave your current position and you should be fine.
Ceili

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 09:42 pm
It's doubtful the prospective employers will check your references, but not unheard of... Many companies give interviews after they do rudimentary checks, but you can specifically ask them NOT to contact McD's if you're worried about the implications.
0 Replies

dirrtydozen22

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 12:12 am
@boomerang,
I did put that I'm currently working and I do plan to let mgt know I don't plan to leave. How do I tell her? What exactly do I say? (Besides supplementing income)
boomerang

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 08:10 am
@dirrtydozen22,
I would catch her early in the day, before work has actually started, even if you have to make a special trip in to talk to her.

Say "Manager, I want to tell you that I have been applying for a second part time job. You might be getting a call to verify my employment and I don't want it to come as a surprise. I like my job here and I don't intend to leave but right now I'm not getting enough hours to allow me to support myself. I promise to make this job my priority. I don't want you to get a call and think I am planning on leaving."

If you currently work a flexible schedule you'll need to add something like "I'm going to try my best to not let the new job interfere with my hours here but it would be great if I could have a set schedule so that we can avoid scheduling conflicts."

Most managers know that when an employee takes on a second job that despite any promises, the employee's days are numbered -- not only is the new job more "fun" but it is a lot harder to make scheduling requests when you're the new kid. Especially when it's a big company like Macy's. They'll schedule you when and where they need you and expect you to deal with it.

IF you've been a really great and reliable employee your manager will try to keep you from going to work elsewhere.
dirrtydozen22

Reply Tue 18 Aug, 2009 11:46 am
@boomerang,
I really don't plan on leaving my job at McD's, if that's what you mean by "employee's days are numbered." The new job may be fun, but so is my old job. At any rate, I plan on holding on to both of them for a long while.
0 Replies