Sound, How does this work?

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 09:34 pm
This subject when thought about is not as easy as it seems. What we hear does not happen in our ears, factually what we hear is actually in our heads. So how on earth does that work?

Perhaps this. Most senses are usually mechanisms in which to respond to our surroundings.

For example, Fear. When we see something that our brain judges as intimidating it triggers the emotion fear. This releases a chemical (forgotten the name, might be serotonin) which then trav3els to the cerabelum which reacts to this chemical signal by causing parts of the body to miove according to the choice the brain made.

However sound is a bit more complicated than that. Is what we hear just a judgement of what is going on around us? in essence, What goes into the ear gets electronically translated for the brain to read, these signals get conducted to certain receptors which make the brain release certain chemicals. If the brain deems the sound non threatening but stimulating it may release dopamine, but if it hears a lion roar for example it travel to different receptors which release serotonin.

Opinions please?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 893 • Replies: 8
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 09:37 pm
@Ogitoc groe sum,
In my opinion, fear is an emotion, not a sense.
Ogitoc groe sum

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 09:39 pm
@DrewDad,
i was not using fear as a sense i was using fear as an example of a sense stimulating an emotional response.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 09:58 pm
@Ogitoc groe sum,
Machines can detect and react to sound with no humans involved. Sound can also cause things to happen, from ripples on water to avalanches with no living thing involved.

Ogitoc groe sum

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 10:02 pm
@ebrown p,
What is a sound to a human?

Im not talking about physical sound, im talking about the experiencve of sound to a living thing and how it translates into our brain (directly into our brain as not being a sound but an electronic signal) so the experience of the physical sound you could say is heard in our head not our ears
0 Replies

Ogitoc groe sum

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 10:02 pm
@ebrown p,
Physical sounds in my mind are a completely different matter.
ebrown p

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 10:19 pm
@Ogitoc groe sum,
You are hearing sounds that aren't there?

Maybe you should see a psychologist about this.
Ogitoc groe sum

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 10:29 pm
@ebrown p,
no! Sound from a human is an experience. there is physical sound and then there is experiencing sound. How do we know what we hear actually is what iut sounds like in the "physical world".
ebrown p

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 10:43 pm
@Ogitoc groe sum,
Sure... but this is not that interesting a topic.

Everything we experience as humans is a human experience. The light we see, the objects we touch, the color of things, the wetness of water, the temperature, our weight.

We experience the world as humans. So what?
0 Replies