What is the correct morality?

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 07:20 pm
How do we know that what we see as morality is correct?

I think morality is a human conjurance of perceptive experience and self opinion.

For instance. In mediaeval European times, burning people at the stake was moral, why is this? in our society this would be deemed appalling.

Back then however it wasnt, with good reason too. People burnt at the stake were heretics. People that the church thought would get sent to hell. The way in which they cured this was by burning people at the stake. This cured them by cleansing them in mortal life with the fires of hell. This stopped them from going to hell. That is completely moral as those times go.

However in our society extreme Christian beliefs have died down. It is in fact now an atrocity to behold. Reasons being that it puts people through agony and we have no way to prove that it actually brings any spiritual benefits.

From this i have a question. Is morality just a forced idea of what people believe to be right or wrong. In my opinion yes. There is no such thing as morality.

Please discuss.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 855 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 10:18 am
@Ogitoc groe sum,
Welcome to A2K.

I see you've posted many questions. Don't be in a rush. Fewer discussions in parallel, for better and more depth in discussion overall, says I.

I'll return to offer my thoughts later.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 11:46 am
@Ogitoc groe sum,
There have been many discussions along these lines on this forum from time to time. Most people seem to agree that any system of ethics (which is really what you're talking about apparently) is culture-specific. What is perfectly acceptable, even deemed moral and laudable, in one place at one time may be seen as an abomination in another place at another time. When we talk about morality we are really talking about cultural norms.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 04:38 pm
@Ogitoc groe sum,
Mine.
0 Replies