New Padmobile

dadpad

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 09:55 am
Ford Focus. I don't know if they are sold in the US or are perhaps rebranded.
picked it up today ours is white and the base model. No extras not even cruise control. Manual cause i'm to cheap to shell out the exta 2 k for an auto. white
$17 K (AUD)
http://www.keydrive.co.uk/Portals/0/ford-focus.jpg

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 7,294 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 10:06 am
@dadpad,
Yes, Ford Focus is sold in Canada.

I hope you'll be happy with your new set of wheels!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 12:01 pm
@dadpad,
There's a NYTimes article today on the Ford Focus - RS, which is probably not the one you got.. (expensive, yikes)

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/15/ford-focus-rs-a-compact-car-thats-all-muscle/

clip -
“Cash for clunkers” has given the humble Ford Focus new status as one of the most popular choices among Americans trading in a gas guzzler for more fuel-efficient transport.

Makes sense. The Focus is a decent enough car. As an inexpensive and inoffensive compact, it offers reasonably peppy performance from its 140-horsepower 4-cylinder engine. If you can live with its rental-car looks, you’ll have a solid commuting tool.

So why is the Ford Focus RS parked outside my apartment here in Paris drawing a crowd when the car I’ve just described is such an automotive wallflower? That’s because, in the world of the Focus, things are not always equal.

The Focus RS is the high-performance version of the new generation Focus that’s unavailable in the United States (so don’t plan on trading grandma’s fuel-swilling Vista Cruiser on one anytime soon). At over $48,000, the RS would also poke its snout just north of the $45,000 limit on new vehicles purchased via the “clunkers” program.

Hunkered low to the ground like a rally car, the Focus RS has enough wings and spoilers to suggest a spare parts deal was struck between Ford and Airbus. Everywhere I drive it in and around Paris, the RS is the center of attention. When parked, I’m peppered with questions or requests for a photo (of the car, not me). A cook at the local gyro stand in my neighborhood even cut a special deal on an order, on the condition that I let him sit in the car. Needless to say, the RS is not your average run-of-the-mill Focus. The metallic lime-green paint job of my test car only added to the fun.

Like the paint job, the performance of the RS is not for the faint of heart. A turbocharged, 301-horsepower 2.5-liter 5-cylinder is under the car’s vented hood. Snick your way through the quick-shifting 6-speed manual transmission, and the RS needs only 5.9 seconds for the sprint from zero to 60 miles an hour. Top speed is 163 miles an hour.

The Focus RS feels even faster than those impressive numbers. Snug in the heavily bolstered bucket seats, the motor fizzes, snarls and pops in city traffic. When a gap emerges, a squeeze of the gas pedal is all that is needed to slingshot down the road.

Like every Focus, the RS is front-wheel-drive only. That could spell disaster, as all that power should overwhelm the front tires and lead to an arm-full of torque steer. Luckily, Ford has fitted an impressive limited-slip differential and what the company calls its “RevoKnuckle” system for the front suspension.
End/clip
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 12:48 pm
Why a base model Focus over a Hyundai-Kia-Toyota-Honda?
Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 12:50 pm
@dadpad,
If it weren't for the fact that I hate, abhor and detest all Ford products (having had some bad experiences with a couple of 'em), I'd say you got yourself a nice little set of wheels. Comparatively economical to run. Congrats.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 01:07 pm
@dadpad,
The new 2009/2010 Focus, as basic as you can it here, costs 26,281.98 AUS in Germany. (well, you get additionally about 15 - 20% rebate from your dealer, plus some 'reductions' by the Ford company).

(But generally, all cars are more expensive in Germany than in most other EU-countries. That's why "re-imported" cars are a better deal - or buying them in the Netherlands, Denmark, France ...)
dadpad

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 07:07 pm
@Chumly,
the equvilent style toyota (a corolla) did not suit me personally it has a1.8L engine and it surprised me how much better the 2L ford engine went. the seat in the corrolla was too high I felt like i couldn't see out the windscreen. i didnt look at the kia hyundai models. its my perception that these are cars made for city driving, not longer distances at higher speeds that we have in rural Aust.
The car we bought had 12,000K on the clock, it was an ex ford executive vehicle and I guess, the right car in the right place at the right time and the right price. It had that new car feel. I drove a few that had 25,000K on the clock and they definitly felt like 2nd hand cars
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 07:11 pm
@Merry Andrew,
In aust. your either a Ford man or a Holden man and never the twain shall meet. this dates back to the days of Peter Brock Vs Allen Moffet in the Bathurst 1000. (the premier motor sport event). Not that i'm a rev head or anything like it.
we wanted a car that mum could zip around our small town in and comfortably do 4 hours of highway. I'm pretty sure we made the right choice.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 07:17 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
22 - 26K would be the price (round about) for a new vehical here as well Walter. This one had a few Km on it I need to pay the registration (around 500)
The indicator (turn signal) lever is on the left side of the steering wheel as per most European vehicals. This is causing some concern as every car I have ever owned had the indicator lever on the right and the wipers on the left.
Its funny turning a corner and putting the wipers on.
Hopefully it wont take long to get used to.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 15 Aug, 2009 09:52 pm
@dadpad,
Very chic, dadpad! Smile

Not a bad price, either. Well done!
0 Replies