Parties Behind Fox Election Fined $48 Million for Violation

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 10:59 pm
Oct 10, 2003
Parties Behind Fox Election Fined $48 Million for Campaign Violations
By E. Eduardo Castillo
Associated Press Writer

MEXICO CITY (AP) - Two political parties that ushered President Vicente Fox into office in 2000 were fined $48 million on Friday by Mexico's Federal Electoral Institute for campaign violations.
The fine was based on evidence that Fox's National Action Party and the allied Environmentalist Green Party accepted foreign campaign donations, exceeded campaign spending limits and failed to report campaign income.

Fox's victory ended 71 years of one-party rule by the Institutional Revolutionary Party, or PRI.

The electoral institute's general council approved the fine with six votes in favor and three abstentions.

National Action is responsible for two-thirds of the fine, or $31.8 million, with the much smaller Green Party due to pay the remaining $16.2 million.

The 3-year-old investigation by the institute is among the inquires known as the "Friends of Fox" cases, after the name of a private group that raised funds for the presidential campaign.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,545 • Replies: 4
No top replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 02:05 am
The Illegal funds were from the US.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2003 02:10 am
They're on their way to a typically North American multi-party government complete with party campaign delicti and other malfesance. We'll wait and see if Fox runs off with money stolen from the national coffers at the end of his term like his priista predecessors, and see if that will have been pandemic to the political parties of Mexico, an institutional rite of passage. I would that it isn't.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 11:15 am
A few things to clear:

1. Campaign donations from residents of other countries are forbidden. Those donations were from Mexican citizens, but US residents.
2. The fine is equivalent to double the amount of the sum of foreign residents' donations, the excess of spending limit and the unreported income.
3. Before that fine, the Federal Electoral Institute fined the PRI for the equivalent of $100 million dollars, for the illegal passage of funds from the National oil company to the Oil Workers Union to the PRI Presidential campaign. Two of the Union leaders of the Union are penally accused of corruption. One of them was a PRI Congressman until last july. The other one is scaping jail because he is a PRI Senator, and his party has blocked all intents of "desafuero" (to take away a legislator legal inmunity).

I find there is moral and legal difference between the two cases.
I also think that the harsh fines are prove of the IFE's impartiality, and will help against future wrongdoings.

The key to stop tha pandemia commented by infrablue is the growth and maturing of institutions.

I personally doubt Fox will try to "take the money and run". My perception of him is that he's unskilled, but honest.
One thing is for sure: if he tried to, it would be much harder for him to get away with it, like some (but not all) of his priista predecessors did.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 01:23 am
The election of a panista to the presidency is a great indication of the growth and maturing of the institutions. Mexico will be, and is better for it.

¡Que viva México!
0 Replies