Moroccan King Lays Out Plan to Improve Women's Rights

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 10:53 pm
Oct 10, 2003
Moroccan King Lays Out Plan to Improve Women's Rights
By Nicolas Marmie
Associated Press Writer

RABAT, Morocco (AP) - Morocco's king announced plans Friday to grant new rights to women regarding marriage and divorce, reforms aimed at modernizing Moroccan society.

The reforms will help close a divide between women's groups and a powerful Islamic movement, said Mohammed VI, who has ultimate authority in Morocco. Parliament is expected to approve the plan.

"We have not hesitated to intervene to spare our society from the risks of splitting apart," the 40-year-old monarch said in an address to parliament.

He said that the reforms would "place families under the joint responsibility of both spouses" - not just men.

"These reforms must not be seen as a victory of one camp over another but rather as advances for the benefit of all Moroccans," he said.

Mohammed VI also said the plan would make polygamy nearly impossible. The practice is rare in cities, but exists in some rural areas.

Among other changes, the proposal is to raise the minimum marriage to 18 years old, from 15, and simplify divorce procedures for the benefit of women.

The king has brought social and human rights reforms to the impoverished North African country, where one out of two people is illiterate.

Among the former French colonies in North Africa, Morocco has been considered a relative laggard on issues of women's rights.

The announcement of Morocco's reform came on the second day of a three-day trip by French President Jacques Chirac, who has repeatedly praised the king's efforts to modernize his country.

This story can be found at: http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGABWYV1NLD.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 371 • Replies: 3
No top replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 12:24 pm
I would think that 15 as an age to marry should be adjusted but, thats just me
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 05:33 pm
Well, it's a step forward. In many societies and for a long time, 15 is an adult age. But, I'm biased, I've always had a soft spot for Morocco.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2003 07:52 pm
Now that our life expectancies are spreading further though it does seem that 15 is a bit young although at one time and in many cultures young even.
0 Replies