How Big Is The Cosmic Soccer Ball?

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 06:06 pm
A new theory being debated amongst scientists states that the universe is shaped like a 12-sided soccer ball.

Cosmic Soccer Ball

Quote:
In the Nature paper, Dr. Weeks and his colleagues propose that three-dimensional space has 12 sides, like a soccer ball, or more technically a dodecahedron. This model would fit with the cutoff of large waves observed in the Wilkinson satellite data. Each face is "glued" to its opposite number. (Don't try this at home.) A spaceship crossing one face or panel of the soccer ball would enter the other side of the ball. After traveling 74 billion light-years it would find itself back where it had started.

I asked a friend to try and quantify that distance for me so I could better understand it. This is what he presented. Is it correct? Is the 74 billion light-years the measurement of the circumference and not linear distance from point to point?

The article states the universe is 74 billion lightyears across... which is pretty damn big. Approximately 4.35 * 10^23 miles (435,000,000,000,000,000,000,000). Or uhm, 60 trillion roundtrips to Pluto.

If you compressed the distance between New York City, and Tokyo into an inch, the other side of the universe would be 1,000,000,000,000 miles away. I probably figured that out wrong.

Actually... upon further scrutiny, it appears that 74 billion number is the circumference. Damnit...

Must make numbers meaningful somehow... ok, if you wanted to tie a piece of string around the entire universe.. it'd be really, really long. Yea... that's it. See above numbers for comparisons.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,187 • Replies: 6
No top replies

neil

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 06:47 pm
I think your 4.35 x 10^23 miles is correct (perhaps several percent low)and perimeter is more correct than circumfrence if it is 20 sided (I'm skeptical)
If a triillon miles of string weighes one KG; that is one nano-gram per mile; the total weight of the string is 435 billion KG = 435 million metric tons. Neil
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2003 10:02 pm
Good analogy, but I don't feel any closer to knowing what 74 billion light years looks like. Once an object is too heavy for me to lift with or without aid, the enormity of the weight is beyond my grasp.

So far, I think I like the New York to Tokyo measurement the best if it is accurate. That concept I find much easier to relate to my life experiences.

Another thing that confuses me in the article is the notion that the universe is made up of a 12-sided mirror-like shape and that what we think of as an infinite universe is actually a distortion of the reflected light of nearby galaxies.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/gifs/dodeca-o.jpg

To believe that the infinite universe is actually a distortion of the light of nearby galaxies, wouldn't you also have to believe that the Milky Way is at the center of the universe? If the Milky Way is not at the center of the universe, wouldn't there be an awful lot of reflections that just don't intersect the location of Earth?
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 02:10 am
in a recent article/report on space.com it states that the universe is 156Billion Light Years wide
or slightly larger....
heres the link
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/mystery_monday_040524.html
0 Replies

neil

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 04:58 pm
If your space craft averages 3 trillion miles per year = 1/2 light speed; it will take 148 trillion years to travel the 74 trillion light years. Neil
0 Replies

Laeknir Scrat

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 05:09 pm
It's a damn big soccer ball. And a child God kicks it around.
0 Replies

Col Man

Reply Thu 24 Jun, 2004 05:17 pm
yes indeed
0 Replies