water softener question

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2009 06:25 pm
I just bought a house with a water softener. I noticed that there was only about 3" of salt pellets in it and no water. When I moved in about three weeks ago there was a quarter of salt in it and the water was about 6" up from there. My question is, if i add salt pellets will the water come back in? Also how much salt do I add?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,237 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Joethewaterguy

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 02:03 pm
@matt2010,
need more info, type of softener would help. answers to your questions...
1.. just adding salt will not make the water come back in.
2.. depends on the size of the brine tank
matt2010

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 07:45 pm
@Joethewaterguy,
ok thank you not much help though
0 Replies

waterdude

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2010 12:34 am
@matt2010,
I recommend using Solar Salt and maintaining the level half way depending the area you live in the humidity may cause the Salt to bridge up
Pellet Salt doesn't dissolve as well as Solar salt and with Pellet Salt cleaning Brine tank once a year and with Solar Salt every 7yrs....
Most units except Eco or GE systems will have 6 to 8 inches of water in Brine tank's .If you have the other water softener units if water rises above 24 inches call your local water treatment company and make sure they have parts to repair unit...if you don't have a marking of unit describe it and give color and if can't go by that move on to another water treatment co.
good luck

0 Replies