Second Coming of Jesus in O.T. and N.T.

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 04:47 am
Jesus' return to earth is explicitly referred to 1,845 times in the Bible: 1,527 times in the Old Testament and 318 times in the New Testament and still the world, including many church people, doubt that Jesus is coming back as promised in scripture. Remember that God lives in eternity, which means He is not subject to time and dates. We also read in the Bible that to God 1,000 years is like one day and 1 day like a 1,000 years. Jesus may or may not come back in our lifetime but that alone is not enough to say that the Lord is not coming back to earth period. What are your thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 7 • Views: 3,635 • Replies: 50

BillRM

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 05:13 am
@nycfunction,
Another believer in fairy tales among other things had check in for some reason.

Welcome.
Francis

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 05:24 am
nycfunction wrote:
Jesus' return to earth is explicitly referred to 1,845 times in the Bible: 1,527 times in the Old Testament and 318 times in the New Testament and still the world, including many church people, doubt that Jesus is coming back as promised in scripture

Statistically, it means that less and less people believe such crap.

and wrote wrote:
We also read in the Bible that to God 1,000 years is like one day and 1 day like a 1,000 years....What are your thoughts?

Blank metaphor.

Here's another one, a lot more poetic:

Quote:
There is a folk story called "The Shepherd Boy" by the Brothers Grimm where a wise shepherd boy is brought to a king to answer three questions. The third question the king asks is "how many seconds of time are there in eternity?" To which the shepherd boy replies, "In Lower Pomerania is the Diamond Mountain, which is two miles (3 km) and a half high, two miles (3 km) and a half wide, and two miles (3 km) and a half in depth; every hundred years a little bird comes and sharpens its beak on it, and when the whole mountain is worn away by this, then the first second of eternity will be over."

ebrown p

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 06:01 am
A man talking to God

"Is is true that to you 1o,000 years are like a second?"

"Yes my son, it it true".

"So would it also be true that $1,000,000 would be like a penny to you?"

"Yes, also true."

The man smiles "could I have a penny?"

God replies "Sure... just a second."

nycfunction

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 06:39 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Another believer in fairy tales among other things had check in for some reason.

Just because it has not taken place in our lifetime (or in years gone by) does not mean it will not occur.

Welcome.
0 Replies

nycfunction

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 06:41 am
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

nycfunction wrote:
Jesus' return to earth is explicitly referred to 1,845 times in the Bible: 1,527 times in the Old Testament and 318 times in the New Testament and still the world, including many church people, doubt that Jesus is coming back as promised in scripture

Statistically, it means that less and less people believe such crap.

and wrote wrote:
We also read in the Bible that to God 1,000 years is like one day and 1 day like a 1,000 years....What are your thoughts?

Blank metaphor.

Here's another one, a lot more poetic:

Quote:
There is a folk story called "The Shepherd Boy" by the Brothers Grimm where a wise shepherd boy is brought to a king to answer three questions. The third question the king asks is "how many seconds of time are there in eternity?" To which the shepherd boy replies, "In Lower Pomerania is the Diamond Mountain, which is two miles (3 km) and a half high, two miles (3 km) and a half wide, and two miles (3 km) and a half in depth; every hundred years a little bird comes and sharpens its beak on it, and when the whole mountain is worn away by this, then the first second of eternity will be over."

When people make themselves to be smarter than God, they only display blindness.
nycfunction

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 06:43 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

A man talking to God

"Is is true that to you 1o,000 years are like a second?"

"Yes my son, it it true".

"So would it also be true that $1,000,000 would be like a penny to you?"

"Yes, also true."

The man smiles "could I have a penny?"

God replies "Sure... just a second."

Very funny but does not take away from anything stated here about the second coming of Jesus.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 06:48 am
nycfunction wrote:
When people make themselves to be smarter than God, they only display blindness.

That's assuming that god exists.

But if god doesn't exist, which I think, than no comparison, no blindness, no nothing..

Only wishful thinking from your part.

parados

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 06:53 am
@nycfunction,
Quote:

That is an interesting statement considering you are using a book written by man and translated by man as if it was the word of God.
ebrown p

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 07:14 am
First, the OT says nothing about Jesus coming back. It talks about the Messiah coming (the first time). Remember, the Old Testament wasn't written by Christians, it was written by and for Jewish people. Jewish people will tell you that the Messiah hasn't come yet even the first time.

Second the New Testament Bible was written by Christians in the first century. They fervently believed that Jesus would return in their lifetimes.... they were told to be on the watch for him (which is kind of a silly thing to tell people who are going to die long before he comes).

Jesus said he was going to come back "soon", and he didn't come back for over 2000 years. I doubt he is coming at all.

This trick about 1000 years is just a day... when used to make an important promise to beings who only live 80 years... is nonsense.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 07:17 am
@nycfunction,
nycfunction wrote:
Jesus' return to earth is explicitly referred to 1,845 times in the Bible: 1,527 times in the Old Testament and 318 times in the New Testament and still the world, including many church people, doubt that Jesus is coming back as promised in scripture. Remember that God lives in eternity, which means He is not subject to time and dates. We also read in the Bible that to God 1,000 years is like one day and 1 day like a 1,000 years. Jesus may or may not come back in our lifetime but that alone is not enough to say that the Lord is not coming back to earth period. What are your thoughts?

What are my thoughts? I think you're living in a dream world. No offence.
farmerman

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 07:29 am
@rosborne979,
your arguing with another parakeet ros.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 08:22 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

It seems to be the thing to do on A2K. We all have our Parakeets to bear.
nycfunction

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 11:01 am
@Francis,
Francis wrote:

nycfunction wrote:

That's assuming that god exists.

But if god doesn't exist, which I think, than no comparison, no blindness, no nothing..

Only wishful thinking from your part.

Sir, I'd rather believe there is a God than to accept the opposite. If there is no God, I have nothing to worry about except physical death. If there is a God and I die without repenting, there is a God I must answer to. I don't want to take that risk. God is love but He is also holy and hates sin and cannot allow sin into His presence or in His kingdom.

0 Replies

nycfunction

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 11:03 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:

That is an interesting statement considering you are using a book written by man and translated by man as if it was the word of God.

The Bible was written by men through the help of the Holy Spirit. The Bible is the inspired word of God. In Matthew 24 we read "heaven and earth will pass away but my word will not pass away." Who said that? Jesus, the Son of God.
0 Replies

nycfunction

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 11:04 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

nycfunction wrote:

What are my thoughts? I think you're living in a dream world. No offence.

I'd rather believe there is a God than to accept the opposite. If there is no God, I have nothing to worry about except physical death. If there is a God and I die without repenting, there is a God I must answer to. I don't want to take that risk. God is love but He is also holy and hates sin and cannot allow sin into His presence or in His kingdom.

nycfunction

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 11:04 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I'd rather believe there is a God than to accept the opposite. If there is no God, I have nothing to worry about except physical death. If there is a God and I die without repenting, there is a God I must answer to. I don't want to take that risk. God is love but He is also holy and hates sin and cannot allow sin into His presence or in His kingdom.
nycfunction

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 11:05 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

farmerman wrote:

It seems to be the thing to do on A2K. We all have our Parakeets to bear.

0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 11:06 am
sharing my thoughts, fortunately there are many rational christians.
parados

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 11:07 am
@nycfunction,
Quote:
I'd rather believe there is a God than to accept the opposite. If there is no God, I have nothing to worry about except physical death. If there is a God and I die without repenting, there is a God I must answer to. I don't want to take that risk.

But you are taking a risk nycfunction. You have decided that one god is the correct one if there is a god. Yet there are a multitude of gods to choose from. How are you going to explain to Zeus that you picked the wrong god but it should be OK.