Second Coming of Jesus in O.T. and N.T.

nycfunction

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 11:43 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

First, the OT says nothing about Jesus coming back. It talks about the Messiah coming (the first time). Remember, the Old Testament wasn't written by Christians, it was written by and for Jewish people. Jewish people will tell you that the Messiah hasn't come yet even the first time.

TRY CONVINCING JEWS FOR JESUS OF THAT. THERE ARE JEWS WHO HAVE COME TO THE REALIZATION THAT JESUS, THE MESSIAH, CAME TO EARTH AND WAS CRUCIFIED OUTSIDE JERUSALEM OVER 20 CENTURIES AGO. BY THE WAY, I AM NOT SHOUTING.

Second the New Testament Bible was written by Christians in the first century. They fervently believed that Jesus would return in their lifetimes.... they were told to be on the watch for him (which is kind of a silly thing to tell people who are going to die long before he comes).

TRUE BUT JESUS EXPECTS HIS FOLLOWERS TO BE READY FOR HIS RETURN.

Jesus said he was going to come back "soon", and he didn't come back for over 2000 years. I doubt he is coming at all.

GOD HAS NO TIME. GOD LIVES IN ETERNITY.

This trick about 1000 years is just a day... when used to make an important promise to beings who only live 80 years... is nonsense.

WE HUMANS CANNOT GRASP THE MIND OF GOD.

nycfunction

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 11:44 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

First, the OT says nothing about Jesus coming back. It talks about the Messiah coming (the first time). Remember, the Old Testament wasn't written by Christians, it was written by and for Jewish people. Jewish people will tell you that the Messiah hasn't come yet even the first time.

Second the New Testament Bible was written by Christians in the first century. They fervently believed that Jesus would return in their lifetimes.... they were told to be on the watch for him (which is kind of a silly thing to tell people who are going to die long before he comes).

Jesus said he was going to come back "soon", and he didn't come back for over 2000 years. I doubt he is coming at all.

This trick about 1000 years is just a day... when used to make an important promise to beings who only live 80 years... is nonsense.

TRY CONVINCING JEWS FOR JESUS OF THAT. THERE ARE JEWS WHO HAVE COME TO THE REALIZATION THAT JESUS, THE MESSIAH, CAME TO EARTH AND WAS CRUCIFIED OUTSIDE JERUSALEM OVER 20 CENTURIES AGO. BY THE WAY, I AM NOT SHOUTING.

TRUE BUT JESUS EXPECTS HIS FOLLOWERS TO BE READY FOR HIS RETURN.

GOD HAS NO TIME. GOD LIVES IN ETERNITY.

[/quote]

0 Replies

nycfunction

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 11:45 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

sharing my thoughts, fortunately there are many rational christians.

God laughs at men's rationality.
parados

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 11:45 am
@nycfunction,
Quote:

Wait a minute....

Didn't you start this thread by relying on the words written by humans that is supposed to be from God?

If humans can't grasp the mind of God then how on earth can they write down the word of God in any meaningful way?
nycfunction

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 11:46 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:
I'd rather believe there is a God than to accept the opposite. If there is no God, I have nothing to worry about except physical death. If there is a God and I die without repenting, there is a God I must answer to. I don't want to take that risk.

But you are taking a risk nycfunction. You have decided that one god is the correct one if there is a god. Yet there are a multitude of gods to choose from. How are you going to explain to Zeus that you picked the wrong god but it should be OK.

I'd rather have Jesus than anything this world affords today.

parados

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 11:47 am
@nycfunction,
Quote:

I assume that was supposed to be a rational statement from you.
nycfunction

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 11:48 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:

Wait a minute....

Didn't you start this thread by relying on the words written by humans that is supposed to be from God?

If humans can't grasp the mind of God then how on earth can they write down the word of God in any meaningful way?

The Bible was written through the help of the holy spirit.
nycfunction

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 11:49 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:

I assume that was supposed to be a rational statement from you.

Anyday, the saints will hear the trumpet call of God. Are you ready?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 11:49 am
@nycfunction,
nycfunction wrote:

parados wrote:

Quote:
I'd rather believe there is a God than to accept the opposite. If there is no God, I have nothing to worry about except physical death. If there is a God and I die without repenting, there is a God I must answer to. I don't want to take that risk.

But you are taking a risk nycfunction. You have decided that one god is the correct one if there is a god. Yet there are a multitude of gods to choose from. How are you going to explain to Zeus that you picked the wrong god but it should be OK.

I'd rather have Jesus than anything this world affords today.

So in other words, your original statement was complete crap. You really do believe in God and only one God and it isn't a reaction of not wanting to be wrong.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 11:50 am
@nycfunction,
Quote:

Are you sure about that?

After all....
Quote:
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 11:51 am
@nycfunction,
Quote:

I'd rather believe there is a God than to accept the opposite. If there is no God, I have nothing to worry about except physical death. If there is a God and I die without repenting, there is a God I must answer to. I don't want to take that risk. God is love but He is also holy and hates sin and cannot allow sin into His presence or in His kingdom.

Two points,

Quote:
If there is no God, I have nothing to worry about except physical death.

Why would you worry about physical death? People only typically worry about that which they can control or change. You can't control or change the fact that you are going to die - it is a universal truth for all of us. Just accept it, and then you don't have to worry about anything, and it requires no belief in God at all. It's nice, really.

Quote:
If there is a God and I die without repenting, there is a God I must answer to. I don't want to take that risk.

The 'what do we have to lose?' argument of deity worship. This represents the lowest form of faith: faith built out of fear. It isn't a position to be proud of.

Quote:
God is love but He is also holy and hates sin and cannot allow sin into His presence or in His kingdom.

It does not logically follow that an Omnipotent God is capable of hate or mistakes; it implies a lessening of him, which is not compatible with Omnipotence. For you to truly believe that God 'hates sin,' you must also believe that God is fallible and makes mistakes.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 11:58 am

Dys aptly wrote:
sharing my thoughts, fortunately there are many rational christians.

nycfunction wrote:
God laughs at men's rationality.

I assume god likes good jokes.

I myself laugh a lot about the very existence of god but, above all, I laugh about the beliefs of some lost christians..
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 12:08 pm
@nycfunction,
I laugh at God's irrationality.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 12:21 pm
@nycfunction,
=====================================
Yes and when the council call by the Roman emperor met to decided what was going into the bible or not I am sure the spirit was there also.

How in the “hell” can any rational mind give any credit to this nonsense?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 12:42 pm
@nycfunction,
nycfunction wrote:
I'd rather believe there is a God than to accept the opposite.

And that's fine as long as you understand that you are making an arbitrary choice.
nycfunction wrote:
If there is no God, I have nothing to worry about except physical death.

That's not exactly accurate because you should be very concerned about living your whole life in a state of delusional obeisance to a non-existent entity. You only have one life to live, and only one reality of which you can be reasonably certain; this one. Yet you are gambling away the central causes and concerns in your life on one of the most unlikely possibilities conceivable.

You have the freedom to live your life in a dream, but don't kid yourself that it's not costing you something (possibly everything).
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 12:50 am
Ros wrote:
Yet you are gambling away the central causes and concerns in your life on one of the most unlikely possibilities conceivable.

But you wouldn't expect a christian to give it a thought, Ros, let alone understanding the very concept?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2009 04:23 pm
Second Coming of Jesus in O.T.

http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/Jesus-Dunking.jpg

Booyahsnaps

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Philis

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 01:52 am
@nycfunction,
Hey, NYCfunction good to hear from you. As we both have read the signs are coming to pass as we have moved into coming very close to the one world order with 1 man who will be in control of all humans. But before that man takes stage we will be raptured in the twinkling of an eye. As we both also know, referring to your original post, the few that enter the kingdom of god compared to the many who do not.....For the gate is narrow and the way is hard, that leads to life, and those who find it are few. mt 7:14
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 02:28 am
Philis wrote:
the few that enter the kingdom of god compared to the many who do not

I'll be glad not being part of the "happy few".

To be in the same place as yourself would be a horrible punishment..
djjd62

Reply Wed 7 Oct, 2009 06:07 am
@Francis,
as a wise man once said

"i'd rather laugh with the sinners, than cry with the saints"

okay it was billy joel, hardly a wise man, but the sentiment rings true