District 9 - The Movie

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 03:34 pm
District 9 will be released soon. Will it be a heavy handed morality lecture, or cool sci-fi with new ideas?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,070 • Replies: 17
No top replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 08:44 pm
@rosborne979,
Sci-Fi always had allusions to religion. Star Wars series is a good example as well as Dune which had a messianic figure and a god like being in the form of a cloud. Sci-fi is almost like religion except miracles are replaced by science and scientific gadgetry. All the religious tales are of a political nature but god choses the good guys. Sci-fi also deals with politics but the good guys usually have good luck, superior characters or weapons.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 08:50 pm
I don't generally look forward to new sci-fi movies. Not because I don't like sci-fi, but because I am so often disappointed. This one has my interest. I am certain I will watch it.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 05:26 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
I don't generally look forward to new sci-fi movies. Not because I don't like sci-fi, but because I am so often disappointed.

I'm often disappointed as well. But I seem to always have hope Smile

This summer has been particularly disappointing for Sci-Fi movies. Maybe District 9, or Avatar will leave a better mark on 2009.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 08:50 am
really looking forward to this one
rosborne979

Reply Thu 6 Aug, 2009 03:10 pm
@djjd62,
Trying not to get my hopes up. Maybe it'll be better that way.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 01:09 pm
Not long to wait now Smile
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 13 Aug, 2009 09:39 pm
The Rotten Tomato reviews are phenomenal.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 10:08 pm
Ok, I give it an 8 on the IMDB scale. The only reason I didn't give it a 9 or a 10 is because it's more about being human than it is about being alien, and that misses the point of what I (personally) like about sci-fi movies.

The movie takes a long time to establish the characters and the situation, but it builds to a nice crescendo and the characters are very memorable by the end. And it gives itself a big fat setup for a sequel in three years Smile
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2009 10:39 pm
Sounds good enuff to see. Thanks for the review.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 11:02 am
The more I think about it, the more I like this movie. It has stayed on my mind for quite a while. I think I'll go see it again Smile

I think this is one of the few (if any) scifi movies I've ever seen in which the basic plot and theme of the movie had virtually nothing to do with science or fiction. The scifi aspect of this film is completely secondary to the main point of the film, which may be why it carries such an atmosphere of reality.

Unfortunately for me, the scifi parts it's missing are most of what I enjoy about scifi, so this is a very hard film for me to rate. A very unusual combination of story/film elements.

I would be interested to know what others think.

rosborne979

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 09:08 am
Quote:
Audiences clearly enjoyed what they saw too: "District 9" has already soared to No. 78 on IMDb's top 250 movies list, although it'll obviously drop some as the initial euphoria wears off.

Second place went to "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra," which dropped 59 percent in its second weekend but still managed to recruit $22.5 million. The $175 million action movie should pass $100 million domestically by Monday.

"The Time Traveler's Wife" materialized into third place with $19.2 million in its debut weekend, proving that there is a market for watching Eric Bana disappear. Rounding out the top 5 were "Julie & Julia" (No. 4 with $12.4 million) and "G-Force" (No. 5 with $6.9 million), respectively.

(that part about Eric Bana was pretty funny) Smile
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 09:36 am
@rosborne979,
I plan on seeing it sometime this week, so I'll let you know.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 19 Aug, 2009 07:48 pm
The Avatar Thread.
0 Replies

KeepYourMindOpen

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 08:11 am
@rosborne979,
I thought the movie was mainly about coexistence, but not between aliens...humans.

Coexistence has never been easy
rosborne979

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 08:21 am
@KeepYourMindOpen,
KeepYourMindOpen wrote:
I thought the movie was mainly about coexistence, but not between aliens...humans.

I agree, the underlying theme was more about humanity than about aliens or sci-fi (unfortunately). However, the movie was still very well done, and I enjoyed it. Maybe when they return in 3 years we will get to seem some similar explorations of the alien culture rather than the human culture.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 08:22 am
@rosborne979,
Saw it last night. It was definitely a good movie, although I found it a bit violent.

One of my friends said that the movie "isn't a good metaphor for Apartheid". I think my friend doesn't understand the movie isn't about Apartheid.
rosborne979

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2009 08:41 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
Saw it last night. It was definitely a good movie, although I found it a bit violent.

It was definitely a bit violent, but not so much that it became a "Kill Bill" or anything.

I think I missed a lot of the humor in the film however. I picked up on a few "over the top" references which were clearly intended to give the film a wink at itself. But I'm relatively unaware of the situation on the ground in South Africa (both now and in the past), so I think I probably didn't get many of the other winks.
0 Replies