How do I cook bulgur?

jespah

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 06:58 am
I got a pound of bulgur in the mail the other day from, of all places, Amazon (no, no one randomly sent me grains through the mail; I actually ordered this stuff).

But, er, how do I cook it?

Basic cooking, that is. I can figure out a recipe once I know how to get it cooked. There is no good info on the package; it's bulgur in a plain brown wrapper, as if I were ashamed of purchasing wholesome grains and had to hide them from the neighbors.

Many thanks, and recipes welcome as well.

PS I'm gonna have the same question about quinoa, I can tell.

View best answer, chosen by jespah
JPB

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 07:05 am
Mr B makes tabouleh without cooking it. Just soak it in water until it's tender. Here's one recipe
http://mideastfood.about.com/od/soupssalads/r/taboulehrecipe.htm

This is the only way I've ever eaten bulger so I'll be interested in other uses too.
0 Replies

CalamityJane
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 09:43 am
I cook it just like Couscous and other grains - cover the bulgur with water and
let it simmer until soft. You might have to add water if it gets too thick.

I use bulgur as salad: add cherry tomatoes (cut in half), cilantro, olive oil,
balsamico, salt and pepper to taste.
Or with feta cheese, some garlic, and olive oil, balsamico, salt and pepper.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 09:48 am
@jespah,
Thank you both - I was worried I'd have to soak it overnight like beans when all I really want is something fast for nights when I want a grain but don't have the time to make brown rice.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 04:50 pm
Bulgar Wheat Salad (Tabbouleah) is wonderful. Usually, I do a combination of what JB and CJ advised. I cover the wheat grains with boiling water, put a lid on the pot and then turn off the heat. Twnety minutes later the water has been absorbed and the grains softened.

This recipe is a kosher version and is slightly different than the one CJ posted. I like the extra amounts of mint and lemon juice in it.

http://kosherfood.about.com/od/koshersaladrecipes/r/tabbouleh.htm

Sometimes I'll make a sweeter version of it and eliminate the onions, cucumbers and tomatoes and use fresh fruit such as oranges, grapes and apples and use yogurt as the dressing in place of the olive oil.

The cooked wheat also makes a good substitute for the usual other fillers in meatloaf and meatball recipes.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 05:11 pm
@Butrflynet,
That sweet version sounds good, Butrfly.
jespah

Reply Thu 30 Jul, 2009 05:19 pm
@ossobuco,
Divine.

I am thinking -- put water in a microwave safe bowl with garlic, mushrooms and onions, nuke for about 2 mins 10 secs to get it to boil, add bulgur, cover and leave for, erm, 10 mins or so? Sub fruit for the garlic, mushrooms and onions as desired?
0 Replies