Rainsoft silver series not backwashing

loydfl

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 08:55 am
I have a 5 year old rainsoft silver that is not backwashing resulting in no softened water. When I manually use the lever to start a cycle, nothing happens. If I turn the backwash dial I can get it to backwash, but it won't stop. I pulled the little controller off the unit and did not find any stripped gears, but did notice the little motor that makes this sucker work is hotter n' heck. Pulled off the leads and checked with a multimeter got 148 ohms. Is this the problem? A problem or something else. Trying to avoid a service call here since that typically runs over $100 plus parts in my area.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 3,294 • Replies: 4
No top replies

loydfl

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2009 10:24 am
So, a little further troubleshooting. Pulled the motor off the assembly and cannot turn it by hand, going to make a wild guess that it is dead. Did some googling and cannot find a replacement. It appears that softnerparts.com no longer carries the beast. Wondering if it would be cheaper at this point to replace with a Fleck controller since I have hear that the rainsoft replace is in the $1800 range.
Joethewaterguy

Reply Mon 3 Aug, 2009 08:24 pm
@loydfl,
well, you can't turn the motor by hand, if you can it's definately bad. Spend the money on a service call, and tell them you want the "tc" warrany upgrade. Shouldn't cost more more than $100 , plus the service call.
bargainsbob

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 02:33 pm
@Joethewaterguy,
just bought a used one works fine for $200, THE MAN SAYS HE HAS MORE.
The motor is a clock motor and I believe it is greatly geared down and you shouldn't be able to turn it. It should be making a running sound "whirring".
If you contact me in florida if you want to get a good head I will see what I can do. [email protected]
Joethewaterguy

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2009 02:11 pm
@bargainsbob,
you bought a used timer motor for $200? The warranty replacement digital board/ kit and the service call would be about the same. I'll bet he does have more.
0 Replies