What foods do you loathe, detest and despise

Rockhead

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 02:25 pm
I kinda won't do tongue, liver, brains or genitals.

(my thinking is this... if I ever become food, I would prefer those parts of me left alone, thankyouverymuch)
0 Replies

mags314772

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 03:09 pm
@chai2,
I'm not familiar with menudo. What is it?
Rockhead

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 03:14 pm
@mags314772,
OK, add stomach to the list, nobody should eat my stomach either...

Menudo is a soup made with tripe.

Tripe:

Beef tripe is usually made from only the first three chambers of a cow's stomach. (from wiki)

yummy...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 03:21 pm
Well, very quickly,
Okra - the vilest flavor on the planet
Cheese - except on cheese burgers, some Mexican dishes or pizza
Menudo
There are others, but these are enough for now.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 03:49 pm
I like, love or don't mind pretty much what's been on everyone's no-go list so far.

I hate pumpkin pie.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 07:49 pm
@mags314772,
mags314772 wrote:

It's got tripe in it, as rocky said, but looking at some online recipes it also contains; calves feet or pigs feet, pork liver, chorizo (which is a nasty sausage), and sheeps eyes.

Oh, they'll try to tell you it's hominy, but believe me, it's sheeps eyes.

look at this. does this look like some nasty stuff or what?

mexican friends tell me some people use it as a cure for a hangover. yeah, it cures a hangover because knowing I'd have to eat it would keep me from drinking in the first place.

http://images.fsmomaha.com/photos/350/menudo.jpg
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 07:53 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

mags314772 wrote:

It's got tripe in it, as rocky said, but looking at some online recipes it also contains; calves feet or pigs feet, pork liver, chorizo (which is a nasty sausage), and sheeps eyes.

Oh, they'll try to tell you it's hominy, but believe me, it's sheeps eyes.

look at this. does this look like some nasty stuff or what?

mexican friends tell me some people use it as a cure for a hangover. yeah, it cures a hangover because knowing I'd have to eat it would keep me from drinking in the first place.

http://images.fsmomaha.com/photos/350/menudo.jpg

An ex sister in law of mine was born in Mexico City. She makes a huge stainless steel pot of menudo twice a month. Her entire family scarfs it down like ambrosia. Makes me ill to watch.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 08:01 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
chorizo (which is a nasty sausage),

I say bullhonky...chorizo is Spain's gift to the culinary world...scrambled eggs and chorizo...hmmmm hmmm

http://www.elise.com/recipes/photos/eggs-chorizo-c.jpg
ehBeth

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 08:05 pm
@panzade,
Spanish chorizo, yes. Mexican chorizo, less so.
dyslexia

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 08:07 pm
@panzade,
the chorizo I am familiar with (mexican) is wonderful, the portuguese chorizo is godawful.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 08:12 pm
Jello molds with vegetables inside (big during the 70's)

Aspic

will not eat pasta with red sauce most of the time because I OD'ed on Kraft spaghetti dinner (in a box the size of mac and cheese) as a kid
panzade

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 09:23 pm
@ehBeth,
Spanish is my fave
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 09:24 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
will not eat pasta with red sauce most of the time because I OD'ed on Kraft spaghetti dinner (in a box the size of mac and cheese) as a kid

same here
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 10:18 pm
@ehBeth,
I remember chorizo and eggs in TJ a long time ago, great. That was about a day after my mother warned me yet again how dangerous Mexico was, before we set out. Of course, now in 2009 TJ could make my mother just nod.

I've eaten a lot of sausages.. depends on who made them - I wouldn't generalize about portuguese or mexican or spanish or italian (which I'm most familiar with and some are awful) or german, etc. Sausages, and similar, vary.

Which reminds me, we called our friend ML, "Choriza". She and another friend had their hair done, while a few others of us hit the pottery shops in Rosarita Beach (this was in the late sixties). They both showed up after two hours with sausage curls, ML's the more flamboyant. I do mean flamboyant. I shouldn't sound above it all, as I got a beehive doo in Guadalajara a short month or two later that I went straight to the RestRoom and combed/washed out. I suppose you could have called me hair flume another word or two..
ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 10:26 pm
@ossobuco,
I guess I was lucky I hated spaghetti as a kid. It was, you know, wormy, wiggly. So was jello, so was tapioca, pudding, cream cheese, anything squishy squirmy.
What a petunia.

The remnant of this distaste is raw sea urchin... and for that I'm glad.
0 Replies