Tommy Edwards is one of my favorites.
panzade

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 07:24 pm
@edgarblythe,
Don't know why he only had one hit
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 07:52 pm
@panzade,
Where I lived, he had two hits. The other was Morning Side of the Mountain. He became ill and died very young, if I recall correctly.

Let me correct myself. He had three local hits, when I lived in Corpus Christi. The third was Please Mr Sun.
panzade

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 08:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm reading this book to get a feel for Texas edgar

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51CJ4PWK7FL.jpg
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 08:46 pm
@panzade,
I was born here. Spent ten years of childhood in California, then returned. From 1957 to now I have tried to understand my home state and have continually failed.
panzade

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2009 08:57 pm
@edgarblythe,
I'm thinking the secret lies in the 19th century...I'm gonna find out
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 07:27 pm
Today I got a CD of Huey "Piano" Smith and his clowns. They did "Rockin' Pneumonia and the Boogie Woogie Flu" in 1957 (written by Huey, and "Don't you just know it", conjured up in the car when the group was driving from Baltimore to Washington, D.C. released in 1958. The CD also has a previously unreleased version of "Sea Cruise" which was written by Smith but Frankie Ford was the guy who made it a hit.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 07:43 pm
@glitterbag,
The story of Sea Cruise is this: Huey recorded it, then went on a short vacation. By the time he returned, the studio had lifted his voice off the recording and Frankie Ford's voice substituted for the release.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 08:20 pm
How did I ever miss this thread....such nice songs here.

One of my favorite "makes me feel good" songs

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Oct, 2009 08:25 pm
Hi, CJ. Good song.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 12:45 pm
The record notes on the Frankie Ford CD tells the same story, the notes on the Huey Smith CD said that Huey didn't sing very well however he had a great group of singers called the clowns. They added the Frankie Ford vocals over the original band renditions of "Sea Cruise". It's interesting to hear the Huey Smith version....Frankie Ford was quoted saying that occassionally Huey Smith would come to hear him play the Smith songs but would have to stay back stage out of sight....hard to remember that black people were not allowed to sit in the audience when white performers were playing....seems so incredible now. That was only 50+ years ago, shameful time in American history.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 25 Oct, 2009 01:38 pm
@glitterbag,
Those were the breakout years. Jesse Belvin, author of Earth Angel, was threatened in a way that said racism, shortly before he and his wife died in a fiery car crash. Murder was never officially charged, but it was suspicious.
0 Replies