The Doo Wop Era

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 06:03 pm

I'm Not a Juvenile Delinquent
Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 07:03 pm
The local dj always ended his night with this tune by Jesse Belvin. Although it's a little more sophisticated than most doo wop I think it still is in the genre.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 07:21 pm
Panz, I love that recording. Jesse had much to give, had he lived long enough.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2009 07:31 pm

Since I Don't Have You
Skyliners
panzade

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 07:22 am
@edgarblythe,
great song-redone numerous times
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 12:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
I've seen a few oldies TV DooWop specials where they've had the orig members singing this. They STILL do it justice. This makes me so nostalgic ..more so than does some songs and groups hits. Perhaps, it's 'cause of my late (may he R.I.P.) brother (6 yrs older) and I shared a love of these songs.
Crests (w/ Johnny Maestro as lead singer), Skyliners, Johnny Maestro/BrooklynBridge and Drifters songs affect me this way. Oh yeah, Sam Cooke and Brook Benton...etc.

Incidentally, I consider this singer to have one of the best falsettoes of all time, particularly for a white boy.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 01:29 pm
I have a VHS tape somewhere of an Alan Freed movie. A large part of the story in it is of a girl and her disapproving parents, and a song she wrote (Since I Don't Have You). I wish I weren't so darn lazy. I would like to know the girl's name. The name of Carol King is stuck in my mind, but it may well be another.
Ragman

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 02:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
Not sure but try this link for Alan Freed:
"Behind the Music" (1997)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0159156/

"Since I don't Have You"
Was written by Joe Rock and Jimmy Beaumont

"The classic standard, "SINCE I DON’T HAVE YOU" was not only the debut record of THE SKYLINERS, but also, the first in a string of hit songs from the pens of Jimmy Beaumont and the groups first and only manager, Joe Rock. In fact, the artist/management relationship between Beaumont/SKYLINERS/Rock is the second longest such relationship in the entertainment industry. These 40 plus years in which so many "firsts" and "exclusives" became part of the story and history of one of the greatest lead singers and most admired and accomplished vocal groups in pop music, prompted music and entertainment writer Joseph Sasfy of the Washington Post to call them, "possibly the greatest tight vocal harmony group of all time."
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 03:07 pm
www.youtube.com/watch?v=SckF9InxB-E

Lloyd Price-Just Because

Love the raggedy rhythm section
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 03:08 pm
I looked through some of my movies and found two by Alan Freed, but the one I wanted was not there. Not that important, I guess. I did not mean to imply that the girl in the film wrote that song. It was part of the story to say she did.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 03:10 pm
@eoe,
Lloyd Price was one I liked enough to buy his records. Considering how poor I was, that is quite an honor to bestow on an artist.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 04:15 pm
@eoe,
Quote:
Love the raggedy rhythm section

much closer to his Nawlins roots...like this song.

Later on he became more pop oriented
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 04:22 pm
I always thought this was a black doo wop group.
Really brings back memories of sock hops and my fear of slow-dancing...lol

0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 04:35 pm
Jackie Wilson said;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l92oMUNhgng
panzade

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 04:44 pm
@dyslexia,
classic
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 04:52 pm
Jackie Wilson could sing almost anything and sound great.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 04:52 pm
I had never seen a picture of the Duprees.
panzade

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 04:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
did you imagine they were black?
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 05:01 pm
@panzade,
Truthfully, my imagination drew a blank for them.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 27 Jul, 2009 08:55 pm
They didn't sound black to me. But that was the beauty of doowop. It didn't matter, at least, not on the radio station that I listened to. Dion and the Belmonts, the DelVikings, both black and white kids not only were into it and bought the records but performed as well. Frankie Valley and the Four Seasons really homogenized it in the 60's tho. That's when something seemed to shift and it suddenly mattered whether you were a black or white group.

No one's mentioned the Temptations or Smokey Robinson & the Miracles. Motown yes but, especially their earlier stuff, pure streetcorner doowop. "You'll Lose a Precious Love" by the Temptations with David Ruffin in the lead, is sheer golden.