I had read Twilight and 7 other books about 3 years ago...what is it called when:

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 12:19 pm
What is it called when you are given a list of books to read (in this case 7 books) and then afterwards given a certificate after you have voted for your favorite author? In this case I fell in love with Twilight and they gave me a certificate of merit or something like that, it had the words "young" or "youth" and "national" or something.. what is the specific name of it? I need it for my resume.

sozobe

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 02:11 pm
@Bonnibel,
It doesn't sound especially standardized -- more like something a school, library or bookstore might do.

At any rate, it doesn't sound like something that belongs on a serious resume.

If you're desperate for something, anything, something about "Certificate of Achievement" would probably cover it. (What were the circumstances under which you got it? School?)
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 02:23 pm
@Bonnibel,
Yeah. Don't put that on your resume.

Cycloptichorn
Bonnibel

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 11:59 pm
@sozobe,
Thank you, that kind of helped me on what I would put on a resume. But do you know if it is called the National Youth Reader's Certificate of Merit or something like that?
Bonnibel

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 11:59 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
That didn't help, thanks.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 07:00 am
@Bonnibel,
Again, where did you get it? What were the circumstances? That can help me figure out what it might be called.

But I do have to reiterate that if your goal is to use this to help you get a job, I recommend leaving it off your resume. You seem young (correct me if not), having a sparse resume isn't the end of the world. Reaching for fakey qualifications will actually hurt more.
Bonnibel

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 01:31 pm
@sozobe,
I actually got it when I was in 10th grade from the school library... It is a significant part to my resume for what I am applying for.
sozobe

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 02:36 pm
@Bonnibel,
From the school library. OK.

If you must say something, then, something like "[name of your school] library certificate of achievement."

What job are you applying for?

My daughter reads 7 books a week, approximately, and she's eight. It really doesn't qualify her for any job that I can think of.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 03:14 pm
I'll agree with those cautioning you to not make that part of your resume. I don't mean to be mean, but depending on what place you are applying to work at, the listing of that could receive a laugh, at best a kind of sympathy for your reaching for something to impress.

Many applications have a space to list your hobbies and interests, and you could add reading as one of them.

0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 03:40 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
My daughter reads 7 books a week, approximately, and she's eight. It really doesn't qualify her for any job that I can think of.

She's not trying hard enough.

http://occawlonline.pearsoned.com/bookbind/pubbooks/martin_awl/medialib/download/2101.jpg
ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 03:42 pm
@joefromchicago,
(egads, I like your new signature)
0 Replies

Bonnibel

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 04:42 pm
@sozobe,
I am happy for your daughter, but these were specific (long, chapter) books. Not picture books. Nationally chosen to read and to vote for the best author to receive and award. That is why Stephenie Meyer received the award and thus they made a movie out of it. My vote counted towards that.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 04:47 pm
@Bonnibel,
May I ask at what kind of firm or place you are going to use this for your resume?

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 04:52 pm
@Bonnibel,
You are getting what seems unnaminous caution here, Bonnibel. We don't dislike you, we wish you well, and welcome you here. Some of us have read many hundreds of resumes.
You can listen or not.

Me, I was reading thick tomes about the history of medicine at twelve. I never put that on a resume. Most of us replying have had some experience with resumes, including Cycloptithorn.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 04:58 pm
@Bonnibel,
She's reading specific long chapter books too. Not picture books. I wouldn't recommend "Twilight" to her yet because of content, but those books are at a similar difficulty level to the books she is reading. It's really not something for someone three years away from 10th grade to brag about on a resume. Really.

To give some background -- I used to professionally consult people your age (just out of high school) on successful resumes. I worked with employers and got feedback on what resumes worked and what didn't.

Like Osso, I welcome you to A2K and don't want to be mean. You asked a specific question and I tried to answer that. Implicit is the idea that you want this job, though, and my advice is with that in mind. Perhaps more details will convince me that putting this on your resume would help you get the job -- but from everything you've said so far I think it would actually hurt your chances. It's unserious.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 04:59 pm
@sozobe,
Well, it's only fitting that I would misspell unanimous (how did that happen...)
ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 05:07 pm
@ossobuco,
I'll also add that you seem quite bright, Bonni, and I'd just relax with that and your schooling documentation.
0 Replies

Bonnibel

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 05:10 pm
Thanks. I am sure you are trying to help me. And I will take your word to not put it on the resume even though the staff there said "it would be great for a resume". I wonder why they said that? But I would still like to know what that certificate or organization is called? It is a national book association of the sort that does this survey with students all over the nation.
Bonnibel

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 05:11 pm
Maybe survey is the not the best word to use...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Jul, 2009 05:31 pm
@Bonnibel,
I can imagine adding this in an interview, if pushed in with a specific question that it applied to, just saying something like certificate of achievement from the school library. Personally, I've done best in interviews when I've just been me, but I haven't been in many corporate type interviews.... although a place I was an early first tech at ramped up over time to the laboratory corporate world, and I do mean world.

My last interview before I had just been recruited at another place (long story) was at a regular old clinical laboratory in beverly hills. The owner liked my background and we spent an hour talking about everything but work - I still love the guy in retrospect, he was a complete character, may he rest well.

Looking back to when I second (first is another story) applied in landscape architecture. Probably my 33rd phone call. We clicked and I worked with him
more than a decade.

So, my long term advice is be yourself, but pay attention to who yourself is.

0 Replies