1970s cocktail culture

High Seas

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 11:12 am
@ossobuco,
Rive Gauche is the boutique collection of YSL. Very much in these things is relative though - not everyone wearing couture has paid full price: the models' clothes, in particular, can't be used once the next collection is out, so they are given at nominal prices to people who can fit into them, which is how I ever got to own any couture. But you surprise me with the Lisa Minelli mention - the woman is very short, I wouldn't have thought she would go for Halston dresses. Still, you're right, I looked it up - obviously she did. My personal reason for wearing his dresses is that I was working at 645 Fifth Avenue at the time, and he also had his showroom in the same building, so I knew him and even though I never asked for a discount he just plain offered. Back to Boomerang's topic, Halston dresses and disco hangouts like Studio 54 were quintessentially 1970s.
http://www.antimonide.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/halston-circa1977.jpg
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 11:24 am
@djjd62,
Full Cleveland!
George

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 11:27 am
70's cocktail culture should include:
Harvey Wallbanger
Mudslide
Tequila Sunrise
Pina Colada
Whiskey Sour
Brandy Alexander
. . . and for the truly discerning boozer . . .
Vodka martini, straight up, with a twist of lemon
(shaken of course, not stirred)
High Seas

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 11:29 am
@George,
Translation of George's contribution - and no, it's not Latin:
Quote:
Full Cleveland - As defined by The New York Times (June 20, 2004), an outfit consisting of "a matching white belt and shoes (preferably worn with a powder-blue leisure suit)." In Canada, the look is called a full Nanaimo.
High Seas

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 11:30 am
@George,
....with pieces of fruit in the glass, plus an occasional paper umbrella stuck on the fruit?
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 12:11 pm
@High Seas,
I never wore a powder-blue leisure suit, but I was a memeber of a wedding
party in the seventies and wore a powder blue tux with a ruffled shirt and dark
blue velvet butterfly bow tie.

I.
Looked.
MAHvelous.
High Seas

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 12:21 pm
@George,
Diligent sleuthing turned up long-classified photograph of George in the 1970's in outfit described above and holding a white hat:
http://www.amasquerade.com/images/products/1970s/image071.jpg
Tai Chi

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 12:25 pm
Wedge heel shoes:

http://p2.shopgco.com/gco/photos/94/948744t.jpg

Dubonnet on ice with a twist. Who still drinks Dubonnet?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8159201.stm
George

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 12:32 pm
@Tai Chi,
Dubonnet, yeah.
That used to be the only thing The Lovely Bride would drink.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 12:32 pm
@High Seas,
YIKES!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 12:44 pm
http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34217&d=1243041231
High Seas

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 12:54 pm
@dyslexia,
Clunky shoes and wedge heels, of course, Dubonnet and Pimms number 1 >
Quote:
Pimm’s Winter Cup: 1 part Pimm’s No.1, 3 parts Local Apple Juice, Star anise, Cinnamon Stick, Slice of green apple, Slice of orange, Warm the juice with the spices and fruit, gently. In a heavy glass mix with Pimm’s and serve.
> and lots of silver glitter under the eyebrows - well, not you, perhaps, Dys, just the ladies. Anyone can bring some music, we're good to go Smile
dyslexia

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 01:24 pm
@High Seas,
while the brothers Gibb play "Odessa" perhaps followed by "I started a joke".
High Seas

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 01:32 pm
@dyslexia,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoH5eo-XaDg
Can't now recall if the game was Texas hold 'em or seven card stud...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 06:34 pm
Ohhh. I've neglected my thread. I was called away for a fun overnight at the coast.

Hehe - my mom (the world's worst cook) used to make something like that muffin pan casserole only she used biscuit dough and "pizza" flavored ground beef.

Earth shoes. Oh my god I wanted those so bad. All the cool kids had them. My family was poor and Earth shoes were completely out of the question. Seriously, I pined for them. Not getting them probably is what set me down the anti-fashion, I'd rather die than shop, path.

The Studio 54 stuff is perfect! Too funny. If my friend serves enough cocaine she won't have to worry about serving food!
boomerang

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 06:37 pm
Oh I love Pims! Just a splash of soda and a squeeze of citrus in mine though!

Dubbonet? I missed that one I guess.

What about Harvey's Bristol Creme. It's downright upright, isn't it?

I seem to recall white girls with big afros from the 70s but that might have been the late 60s. Funny that that time in my life is so blurry.....
djjd62

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 06:37 pm
@George,
no white belt or white shoes, it was the 70's, but i did have a bit of self respect
Tai Chi

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 08:21 pm
@djjd62,
You know, dj, I was going to hold the fact that I have a photo of you in that outfit over your head, but then I realized that I had an afro in 1975...please tell me you don't have a photo!
djjd62

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 08:22 pm
@Tai Chi,
maybe i do, and maybe i don't Twisted Evil
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 09:33 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
I seem to recall white girls with big afros from the 70s .

my hair was too heavy for a 'fro, but I had one hell of a serious perm back in the day. Needed it to hold the polyester flower that went with my special disco outfit. White wide leg pants and a white shiny turtleneck under a very tight red and white striped dress.

ack