I Am Sure I Am Doing Something Wrong But What?

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 08:20 pm
This is the first time ever I decided to grow a garden. At first, it was doing great but then we had a dry spell and some of it burned up. My melon patch; however, is doing awesome! I have a couple of kinds of watermelons and different cantaloupes.

But on some of my watermelons they are getting black spots and rotting. They aren't big enough to be over-ripe so I don't know what I am doing wrong. Does anyone have any ideas about this? I've got quite a few melons out there and I'd like to save as many as I can but I have got to be doing something wrong here. The rotting spots are on the bottom of the melons.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,524 • Replies: 12
No top replies

JPB

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 08:30 pm
Does it look like this?

http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/Images/Cucurbits/Sclerotinia/MelonSclerotinia_21.jpg
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 08:41 pm
@Arella Mae,
are the melons up off of the soil in straw or mulch?
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 08:42 pm
No. It is really black spots. A few of the melons just rotted completely (they were really small when this happened). I'll have to go out there tomorrow and take a picture of exactly what it looks like. I don't really know how to describe it all that well.

I have had to water for the past few weeks because we have had no rain. Do you think maybe I watered too much?
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 08:43 pm
@Rockhead,
They are on hills that I made. Our soil is really sandy and I did read that is supposed to be good for melons, which is why I guess they are doing better than anything else.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 09:01 pm
@Arella Mae,
Quote:
Water-soaked spots--sunken, brown or black--on fruit. Belly rot, bacterial spot or blight, blossom end rot. Remove and destroy infected fruits. Remove all plants and plant debris at the end of the season. Promote good drainage adding organic materials to planting beds. Keep the soil evenly moist; mulch to retain soil moisture. Avoid over-head watering. Rotate crops.
link

There may be some other info in there you can use.
Arella Mae

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 09:15 pm
@JPB,
Okay, that does sound like what is going on. I bet I over watered. I don't have to destroy all the melons, right? Just the ones that are doing this? It isn't all of them, actually maybe only 15% of them or so. I'd hate to have to destroy all of them. I want watermelon!

I didn't see anything about it but I wonder if I turn the melons over if that would make a difference? You know, so that one spot isn't in the wet all the time?
JPB

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 09:18 pm
@Arella Mae,
No, just the diseased ones but don't leave them out to rot because the mildew/mold/fungus/whateveritis can spread. Put the fruit up on some mulch, like straw, to get them off the wet ground.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 09:38 pm
@Arella Mae,
you don't want the fruit in water at all.

I grow melons on a piece of lattice laid horizontal about 8 inches off of mulched soil. (not enough time this year to get them in)
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 17 Jul, 2009 09:49 pm
fungus loves melons......you need to be much more proactive, and yes lots of watering makes the problem worse. You need to be watering early in the day, so that moisture does not sit above ground for long. Fungicides might be required as well. It is critical the one chooses the right seeds, as genetics does matter.

This year is prob a lost cause.
farmerman

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 03:52 am
@hawkeye10,
This year has been particularly bad for blights in veggies. Late blights started on solenaceous plants in the east and the fungus travels on the wind. Potatoes and tomatoes started it all and cucurbits are nex in line for infection as is stuff like tobacco alfalfa, and a few other more commercial products. Ive been spraying my alfalfa with Gramaxon (for the disease carrying leaf hoppers) and some commercial fungicides specific for late blight. My alfalfa looks pretty bad so Im probably gonna be plowing the whole thing up and trying some corn next year.

In Louisiana Ive often found that severeal fungus related problems start waay earlier (because of the climate differences of course).
I know that theyve had severe problems with some fungi in the "muck" veggies like onions and some berries.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 07:38 am
@Arella Mae,
Arella Mae wrote:
You know, so that one spot isn't in the wet all the time?

you don't want any part of the melon in "the wet"

sand hills are a good start - but you still want the melons above the soil - whether on straw or using a sort of shelf like Rocky's lattice

the roots need to be watered, the melons don't
Arella Mae

Reply Sat 18 Jul, 2009 09:38 am
@ehBeth,
o...........................kEmbarrassed , I didn't know that. I'm going out to put straw under all the melons so I don't lose anymore. I really appreciate everyone's help.
0 Replies