Flies for Fly Fishing.

Goamey

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 12:55 am
I'm going on a 3 day fly fishing trip near the 20th of this month, July, to the Dagger Falls area in Idaho, USA. Anyone know how many flies, and what types of flies I'll need? Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 2,196 • Replies: 6
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 04:45 am
@Goamey,
I would really ask your guides what is hatching on the water because youd like to fake the look of the hatch "of the day". Several black midges and feathered "skimmers" are what work around here but Ive found that my flies I use in Pa , dont work in Canada at similar times and its best to mimic the local spread.

I dont know if "fishin" is on the line but maybe hes better at fly fishin than me, Im pretty much a five year beginner. I was never into fly fishing till I went up north and was hitting grayling.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 06:13 am
As farmerman said look for whatever is on and in the water. talk to the locals in the nearest rod and/or bait store. go to the hotel or bar and ask talk to locals about fishing. Chances are they will know who you should chat with. Remember to catch and release.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 06:21 am
Middle Fork of the Salmon River (Dagger Falls)
Synopsis: Incredible catch & release dry fly fishing for Westslope Cutthroat and Rainbows. Difficult to get into but worth the trip. You may not see another person fishing while there.

Flies: orange and yellow stimulators, Renegades, PMDs, Royal Wulffs and BWO’s. Copper John nymph droppers

Flies that work well on the Middle Fork include the following: Parachute Adams, Elkhair Caddis, Royal Coachmen, Royal Wolff, Yellow Humpy, Black Gnat, Stimulator, Sofa Pillow, Dave's Hopper and the Chernobyl Ant. In the deeper waters of the lower canyon (known as Impassable Canyon) a copper john dropper will fish lights out.
Source:
http://ezinearticles.com/?Fly-Fishing-the-Middle-Fork-of-the-Salmon-River---Fly-Fishing-Frenzy&id=1805981

Google this page
The Middle Fork Outfitters Association
0 Replies

Goamey

Reply Tue 14 Jul, 2009 09:13 pm
@Goamey,
Thanks, but does anyone know how many I'll need? I don't care about buying too many, but I'd hate to come up short-handed!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 04:38 am
@Goamey,
when you find which ones are hot now, I always get about 2 or 3 for my little felt fly wallet which I keep on a vest.

"Morning and e'en, and none in between", dont go fishin in high sun try early and late. Watch the pools and keep yur eyes on all overhead tangles and such (only if youre a beginner).

Good luck and , if you keep some, try having em smoked to bring home.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 16 Jul, 2009 05:26 am

Catch, release and whack, that's what I do.

No I'm joking. Only sometimes.
0 Replies