What to see in Tokyo

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 11:56 am
In Japan on business next week and I have a day to tour Tokyo. Anyone has some ideas as to what I shouldn't miss?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 4,430 • Replies: 8
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by engineer
Robert Gentel
  Selected Answer

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 12:06 pm
@engineer,
What kind of stuff are you interested in? Temples and history or contemporary?

You also might want to check this out: http://wikitravel.org/en/Tokyo

It's a wiki where recommended itineraries etc (e.g. http://wikitravel.org/en/One_day_in_Tokyo ) are posted and can give you a good idea of the options.
NickFun

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 12:08 pm
@engineer,
Mount Fuji is about 30 miles from Tokyo. It's an absolute 'must see'. Also, check out the Tokyo Fuji Art Museum. Don't forget to check out the hot baths also. And, if you can, get a massage from one of the hotel ladies. They even come to your room Wink.
engineer

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 12:50 pm
@NickFun,
I am stiff after playing three sets of tennis on hard courts last night, but my wife might not appreciate the medical necessity of a room massage.
NickFun

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 06:04 pm
@engineer,
I also played three sets of tennis yesterday Engineer but I am loose as a goose. And I'm 50 years old! I think there something to be said for a good massage and hot spring.
engineer

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 08:15 pm
@NickFun,
That's great! Hard courts are my downfall. I love the clean bounce, but after two knee surgeries, the pounding gets to me.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 08:26 pm
@engineer,
If you have a camera, or, never mind all our dependence on cameras, some commentary, I'd like to hear it, engineer.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 08:31 am
@Robert Gentel,
I used the suggested travel itinerary (with the 4:00 AM fish market omitted) and it was great. Someone asked for impressions. I'm not the great world traveler and I only spent one day in Tokyo, but my impressions:

- Tokyo is hot and humid this time of year.
- Very clean and very little crime. Families are out at 10:00 PM with the kids
- No daylight savings time. That means it gets light at 4:30 AM this time of year.
- Incredible population density: Learn the local phrase for "excuse me."
- Very friendly people, but don't expect a lot of people to know English. In Europe, it seems like every other person speaks English. Not so in Japan.
- Don't even consider renting a car. The roads are jammed and public transportation is excellent. The subways are easy to use, but you probably need a 5 minute lesson on computing fares.
- I did see some homeless areas. The hotel conceriege told me some areas were known for the homeless but they would be ok during the day.
- There are some quirky subcultures there. You can see some interesting folks in the Electric City area and around the Meiji Shrine. The travel guide Robert linked to mentioned some of these.
- There is a lot of "cuteness" to the culture. Busses shaped like trains, ads with animated characters, etc.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2009 09:10 am
@engineer,
Thanks for the impressions, Engineer!
0 Replies