Arab-Jewish coexistence

au1929

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 10:49 am
I have seen this or a similar statement made regarding the bombing in Haifa

Not only was the killing of civilians in Haifa inexcusable, but it also struck at a symbol of potential peace. The city, and in particular the Maxim restaurant where a Palestinian woman ignited the bomb, are a model of Arab-Jewish coexistence. The ownership of the restaurant being a partnership between Arabs and Jews. It was also mentioned that the Arabs were Christian.
That brings me to my question. I have little doubt how the Islamic Arabs feel about the state of Israel and it's existence. However, I wonder what the attitude of Christian Palestinians toward Israel. Especially those who are Israeli citizens.
Anyone!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 595 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 01:11 am
There's a young lady wishing to open dialog on these issues to help her studies in school. You'll find her thread here if anyone is interested in participating.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=404418#404418
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 01:17 am
Now, au, I had never considered the perspective of Christian Palestinians, though I probably should have. Without speculating, I have to say I don't envy them their ambiguous position.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 01:39 am
I have read that they are increasingly alienated by understandable Israeli trepidation at their presence in their midst. Coupled with measures by the Israeli government that cleverly and consistently find ways to make life less enjoyable for Arabs (because of their legitimate concerns about democratic danger to the existence of a Jewish state) we find a cycle in which they increasingly represent what the Israelis fear. It's a pity, one could argue that Israeli Arabs have the most to lose from an intifada, if the alienation of them were prevented they could be a valuable tool for Isreal in ending the uprising.
0 Replies

yeahman

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2003 06:54 am
i forgot where i read about it. newsweek?
but the article was saying that at one time the christian and muslim palestinians stood shoulder to shoulder against the israelis. but that's changing today as the growing muslim population in the area is threatening the christian minority.
the christians are in just as much danger in having their homes taken away by muslims as they are by israelis.
0 Replies