The Bush doctrine "hit them where they are."

au1929

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 06:57 am
The Bush doctrine "hit them where they are." Israel with the tacit approval of the White House may be adopting that doctrine as their own as evidenced by the strike in Syria. What is missed in all this is that Israel bombed an empty training camp while the suicide bomber took twenty lives and critically wounded many others? IMO it was only meant as a show of force to remind the Syrians what might be if they do not curb the activities of the terrorist groups that they harbor and support.
The UN meanwhile is readying it's normal condemnation of Israel. I ask where is the condemnation of Syria for their complicity in the terrorist activities that kill the innocent men, women and children?

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/07/international/middleeast/07PREX.html?th
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,706 • Replies: 37
No top replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 09:56 am
Yesterday I swear the Israelie spokesman used the exact same words that Bush did in his campaign to attack Iraq. But he did not attribute it as a quote.

Do you think Bush/theUS has let the genie out of the bottle with the "Bush doctrine"?

What can the current American president say when other countries use his words to justify their aggression?

Good morning au1929 - long time no see.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 10:04 am
JoanneDorel
Good morning to you. As for letting the Genie out. Hell Bush is the genie. Hopefully someone will put him back in the bottle.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 10:09 am
We hope so that is for sure. Even here in Texas folks are really getting tired of this. Texas, at least the middle class and lower middle class is going totally broke.

In the neighborhoods of Dallas and Forth Worth there are houses that stand for sale and for rent for months and months and months.

Dallas has just been crowned the crime capitol of the US.

All the time I hear folks saying they will not support Bush any more because he has destroyed the economy. And of course Veteerans are vocally speaking out against the Bush doctrine.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 10:21 am
Joanne
The problem of course is that we are so mired in the morass that Bush has wrought no matter who is elected the US will be in deep trouble. As for Iraq although we should not have been there, now that the US is we cannot just cut and run. He has made our bed and we must lie "wallow" in it.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 06:49 pm
JoanneDorel wrote:
Yesterday I swear the Israelie spokesman used the exact same words that Bush did in his campaign to attack Iraq. But he did not attribute it as a quote.

Do you think Bush/theUS has let the genie out of the bottle with the "Bush doctrine"?

What can the current American president say when other countries use his words to justify their aggression?

Yeh, thats exactly what I thought when I read this news story. Who will be next to strike out at real and suspected enemies, far into other countries' territory, with "bold" military violence? And America will have no right to say anything about it, cause it "OK's" pre-emptive attacks by its own actions ... we gotta face it, the degree of military anarchy in the world has simply been stepped up a notch now ..
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 07:25 pm
It appears to me that Bush not only condones Israel's action but with his rhetoric he is egging Sharon on. Could it be he is looking for an excuse to attack Syria or at least have Israel take Syria out.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 08:15 pm
Re: genies and bottles, does anyone else think the Bushy is back in the bottle?
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 08:48 pm
Bush may be on the bottle but he is unfortunately not in it. In fact at times he sounds like he should still be feeding off of mamma's breast.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 08:54 pm
au1929 wrote:
Bush may be on the bottle but he is unfortunately not in it. In fact at times he sounds like he should still be feeding off of mamma's breast.

Oh, so you saw the poem too, eh? Wink
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 08:55 pm
Hobibob
What poem?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 09:01 pm
He He HE....Has our children learneded?
Quote:
President Bush pens a poem

Saturday, October 4, 2003 Posted: 4:44 PM EDT (2044 GMT)

The poem notes how Laura Bush got a kiss on the hand from French President Jacques Chirac.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Laura Bush says her husband is a poet even if, uh, Americans don't know it.

At a gala Friday night kicking off this weekend's third National Book Festival, Mrs. Bush celebrated the written word in an age of visual media, thanking American authors for their "tales of mystery, history and heroism."

"A good book is like an unreachable itch; you just can't leave it alone," she said at the Library of Congress, repository of 126 million books, recordings, photographs, maps, manuscripts and more.

She revealed that President Bush had penned a poem for her when she got back from a five-day solo trip to Europe, where she attended a book festival in Moscow and visited France -- getting two kisses on the hand from French President Jacques Chirac.

"President Bush is a great leader and a husband, but I bet you didn't know he is also quite the poet," she said. "Upon returning home last night from my long trip I found a lovely poem waiting there for me."

As her husband watched quietly, she recited it.

"Roses are red/Violets are blue/Oh my, lump in the bed/How I've missed you."

Bush sometimes refers to his wife as a lump in the bed.

Mrs. Bush went on:

"Roses are redder/Bluer am I/Seeing you kissed by that charming French guy."

And then the finale:

"The dogs and the cat, they missed you too/Barney's still mad you dropped him, he ate your shoe/The distance, my dear, has been such a barrier/Next time you want an adventure, just land on a carrier."

Barney the dog had a tumble when Mrs. Bush was handing him to her husband on a tarmac.

James H. Billington, the librarian of Congress, called Mrs. Bush "first reader of our land" for her work on behalf of literacy and reading. The first lady is a former librarian and teacher, and the book festival is modeled after those she started in Texas when her husband was governor.

"Stories beckon us to toss all the cares in the world -- work, even sleep -- to read and discover," she said.

Novelist Tom Clancy, Cherokee storyteller Gayle Ross, nonfiction author and novelist Stephen L. Carter, CBS newsman Bob Schieffer and actress Julie Andrews, who writes children's books, joined Mrs. Bush in launching the festival.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 09:06 pm
I guess all that drinkin and druggin took it's toll
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 09:08 pm
Who are you more disgusted with...Bush for proving he has the IQ of a kumquat, or "Laurabird (aka the "lump in the bed (which makes one wonder how the twins came about)")" for exposing to the world that her husband has the IQ of a kumquat? Confused
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 09:11 pm
I don't think she is the brightest bulb on the string either. They appear to be a matched set.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 09:14 pm
I still think she has the "valium wife" glazed expression!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 12:00 am
Laura are you talking about that sweet Texas gal from Midland, TX?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 08:00 am
The one who killed a former boyfriend in an auto aciident...that's the one!
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 08:26 am
You speak my mind for me hobitbob!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2003 08:59 am
As the mist begins to clear
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- In a sign of its growing displeasure with Syria, the White House is signaling President Bush would sign legislation giving him tools to impose economic and diplomatic sanctions against Syria, administration and congressional sources said.
For months, the White House has asked Republican party leaders not to move forward with the legislation, known as the Syria Accountability Act, while the administration backed the "road map" for Middle East peace.
But because of growing frustration with Syria's alleged support for terrorism in Israel and its failure to stop the flow of militants into Iraq, administration officials informed Republican leaders late last week they would no longer oppose the legislation, the sources said. The change came before Israel's military strike Sunday against an alleged terrorist training camp in Syria.
The Middle East peace plan has been stalled by continued terrorist attacks, the resignation of former Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmood Abbas and accusations Israel is not sufficiently dismantling housing projects built on Palestinian territory against Palestinian objections.
The legislation would give the president the ability to waive any or all of the sanctions. Administration officials said support of the legislation is designed to send a message to Syria about U.S. displeasure with its actions.
The bill, which the House International Relations Committee is expected to approve today, threatens economic and diplomatic sanctions against Syria if it does not abandon support for the militant group Hezbollah, as well as for Hamas and other terrorist groups.
The bill also threatens sanctions if Syria does not end its occupation of Lebanon, and stop producing and acquiring weapons of mass destruction.
White House aides said the president is not likely to publicly endorse or lobby for the bill.
Leadership aides in the House and Senate say they are likely to pass the bill in the next couple of weeks and send it to the president for his signature.
The bill has some 260 House co-sponsors from both parties, including House majority leader, Tom Delay, R-Texas. Delay has pressed the Bush administration to support the bill. He formally signed on Friday after the administration did.
The main House original co-sponsors are Rep. Illeana Ros-Lehtinen, R-Florida, and Rep. Elliott Engel, D-New York. The Senate's main backers are Sen. Rick Santorum, R-Pennsylvania, and Sen. Barbara Boxer, D-California.
The bill tells the president to impose two of six possible sanctions against Syria. The six options are:
• Ban export to Syria of dual-use technology, such as pharmaceuticals and related items.
• Prohibit U.S. businesses -- currently mostly oil companies -- from operating in Syria.
• Restrict Syrian diplomats in the United States.
• Block Syrian airline flights to the United States and its territories.
• Reduce or remove diplomatic contacts with Syria.
• Freeze Syrian assets in the United States.
0 Replies