Can the faithful be helped by exorcism?

Robert Gentel

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 08:03 pm
@boomerang,
Hers is the saddest story to come out of this cult, and I still get emails from strangers till this day asking how they can help her.

The best thing I can tell them is that the last thing I heard is that she's off the streets. This was a victory in itself. When I met her we picked her up from a court after another unsuccessful attempt to get the court to do anything but serve as a revolving door, to require rehab or something to help save her.

She wasn't ready to leave the streets or her drugs then, and she took off for her life on the streets instead of taking us up on our offers for help. But from what I hear she's finally getting some help.

Here is the last news I have about her (from 2007):

Quote:
Just a note to anyone interested in Merry (Mene's) progress....I see her a few times a week and she is doing FANTASTIC and realized the 'curse' was a LIE. She is clean and sober and has a home to live in and a good job and has turned her life around. She has been invited to Christmas and may come. I hope so. Her boss talked to me yesterday and said she is one of the best employees she has ever had and is so thankful she met her. I thank God for her doing well after what the F did to her. Rick told me one of the nightmares he never could get rid of was not being able to help Merry and I tried to assure him he was a baby himself. Don't get me started on that subject.

Quote:
That video you posted both broke my heart and totally pissed me off.

I get totally get the anger, I've had to try to let it go as much as I am able to. Unfortunately it looks like they are all going to get away with it as long as no authorities take it seriously enough to find them and bring them to justice.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2009 08:54 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
I guess I mean something more than the placebo effect but I'm not coming up with the right words. "Spiritual health" or "emotional health" is about the best I can do right now.

I think you're creating a distinction where one doesn't exist. The beneficial or detrimental effects of exorcism or hypnosis or any other form of suggestion are precisely the placebo effect.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 09:40 pm
Thanks, Robert. I really hope she is doing okay.

Such unnecessary sadness.

It must be nice to be so certain, rosborne, I wish I could do that. I always find another question.
boomerang

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2009 10:28 pm
@boomerang,
Quote:
Such unnecessary sadness.

I meant for her -- unnecessary she was treated this way -- not for me, even thought the story did make me sad.
0 Replies