Meeting People online

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 09:30 am
I met in person a guy whom i had first met online, and we smoked dope like there was no tomorrow . . . but he didn't try to sell me any . . .
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 09:51 am
So, are we all saying we've all met our dope dealers online?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 02:02 pm
@Setanta,
Boomer didn't sell Blatham or me any dope. She just served us some very addictive apples of a sort whose name eludes me. But that's just a consequence of my senility, not of any drugs in the apples.

I have no interesting stories to offer, just a boring statistic. So far I've met about 20 people in real life after getting to know them online. Each of them turned out to be at least as pleasant in real life as they were online. Many of them were even more pleasant. No disappointments for me so far.
Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 02:07 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
No disappointments for me so far.

Ditto.
Mame

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 04:35 pm
@Merry Andrew,
I've met 17 (wow) from this board and 3 from another and no disappointments, either, except for Shewolf who's bat-crazy, as Chai called her. The only disappointment I have is not meeting more. Really wish I could have gotten to Raleigh-Durham for somebody's (who was it now? hmmm...) 60th...
Mame

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 04:38 pm
@Mame,
Speaking of which, where has RJB been lately?
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 03:06 am
@boomerang,
it's your hips girl. Your hips is all wrong.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 07:25 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Boomer didn't sell Blatham or me any dope. She just served us some very addictive apples of a sort whose name eludes me. But that's just a consequence of my senility, not of any drugs in the apples.

I have no interesting stories to offer, just a boring statistic. So far I've met about 20 people in real life after getting to know them online. Each of them turned out to be at least as pleasant in real life as they were online. Many of them were even more pleasant. No disappointments for me so far.

To be honest, right before I met Thomas, I expected him to be an old guy with no sense of humor. Thomas is actually much younger than me and is always cheerful in person.

I would say, Thomas, you spend more time with Blatham than anyone (except Lola). What is Blatham like in person?
ossobuco

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 10:41 am
@wandeljw,
I'll answer that - he's wonderful. (I'll leave a more full description to Thomas.)
0 Replies

strawberry pie

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 03:58 pm
People in my country have always been sooo overprotective about all this "online friends" thing...
Actually, even I used to be. But four years ago I started chatting with a girl at my age from another town [not very close to my hometown].
We talked about so many things, we started sending photos and discussing various topics. I loved chatting with her because she gave me that other point of view that none of my friends could.
Four years later, that girl is my best friend and I really love her. We met for the first time this May and I think I've never felt happier... I am grateful to my parents because they've been really supportive about all that stuff.
I guess we're a typical example of the benefits of online friends...
panzade

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 04:20 pm
@strawberry pie,
Welcome to A2k strawberry. I have to say, your written English is remarkable. Have you spent any time in the UK or USA?
strawberry pie

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 01:39 am
@panzade,
Thank you very much! Smile
I was a little bit worried when I started posting lat night. To be honest, I've never posted in an English forum before. I just saw how people joke and discuss important topics and I liked it. I want to meet such kind of people and I hope I'll find new friends here.
To answer your question, no, I haven't been in any foreign country at all. I am 14 and I've been studying English at a language school since I was 8. Smile Two weeks ago I had an FCE exam so I suppose this is why my written Eng is good. But I have to confess that I hate phrasal verbs... They are soo many and I am so lazy to learn the all... Smile

roger

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 01:47 am
@strawberry pie,
Like panzade said, your written English is remarkable. Now, my downfall in Spanish is those gosh darn reflexive verbs.
strawberry pie

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 01:56 am
@roger,
Oh, reflexive verbs are not that difficult.
Apart from English, I study Spanish and French, but I've never had difficulties with reflexive verbs. I guess it's because there are such verbs in my mother tongue. But with English speakers is probably more difficult.
Actually, when I think about that now, It's really interesting how English people manage to get the meaning of reflexive verbs. But... don't worry, Spanish people don't really speak a good Spanish. :] Very Happy So, if you study hard, you're probably speak the language better than them... I know that from personal experience.
roger

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 02:00 am
@strawberry pie,
Hmmm. I'm American. The English fail to recognize we speak the same language, too.
strawberry pie

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 02:06 am
@roger,
Oh, I didn't mean to offend you. I just call "English people" the people, who speak English...
May be next time I should say "English speakers"...
And I have to confess that I've always like the American English more. It's more... expressive Very Happy And also it's a great fun when I'm listening to everyday American English. I just love the.. the atmosphere.
I don't know if you could understand me but I say this from the position of a foreigner.
roger

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 02:11 am
@strawberry pie,
Absolutely no offense taken. Around my part of the country (New Mexico), we usually say Anglo when we mean anyone of northern Europe ancestry. We intend no offense, either.
strawberry pie

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 02:19 am
@roger,
Roger, I have a question: What's the time in New Mexico?
Because in Bulgaria [in my country] it's 11:20 am.
And I just hate that difference in the clock.. it' almost impossible to chat in real time with people from America...
roger

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 03:06 am
@strawberry pie,
At this moment, it is 3:04 a.m. I'm two hours west of New York.

I know what you mean. I'm kind of a night owl, but right now, we kind of turn the internet over to the Australians.
strawberry pie

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 03:13 am
@roger,
It's so.. awkward. In America there is a number of time zones and in my country there's only one Very Happy
I'm kind of a night owl, too but since it's almost noon here... It seems ridiculous when I say that Very Happy
I've always wanted to visit America... Though my priority is Europe...
But I really love a TV series called "One Tree Hill". Everything there seems so... calm and.. different from here. However, I do like my country and I think I should do something and show the people here how wonderful it is.
Plus, there are so many American and British people living here, because they think it's really peaceful and full of tranquility. Strange but.. it's their choice. Smile