Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 07:39 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
"If a group of thugs beat up a kid who opts out, the chances are excellent that they would have found another moronic reason to do so." This from Finn, and if I understand this, I might agree.

Maybe this will help clarify:

My point is that there may have been a time when a kid who opted out of the pledge might have been singled out and isolated or punished by other kids for that reason alone, but no longer.

I don't have any experience with it and I was one of those kids who opted out in High School (graduated 1971), but I can imagine it happened...back then.
I just don't buy that today opting out is so contraversial as to mark a kid as a pariah or target. If a kid, today, opts out and is attacked by bullies, the chances are there are plenty of other stupid reasons why idiotic thugs would beat him up.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 07:40 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I had heard often enough in post war and then Korean War America

I was wrong, we are not roughly of the same age.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 07:59 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn
Quote:
I get the impression that the people who opted out or are all for the option believe that it is the inevitable choice of any kid that might think for himself.

I don't get that... you've gotten replies here from nihilists, buddhists , atheists, agnostics....all independent minded people.
I think a majority of Americans would remember they said the pledge and thought nothing of it
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 08:04 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Re looking at this post of Finn's, I mostly agree.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 08:09 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I graduated from high school in '59, which makes me an approx dozen years older, with edgar toward my end of the stretch.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 08:10 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm always older, which is damned annoying.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 08:14 pm
@ossobuco,
Age can bring wisdom and a finer appreciation of life.

I think this is pretty much the case with ossobuco.

Besides, it's better than the alternative.
panzade

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 08:20 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:
Age can bring wisdom and a finer appreciation of life.

I think this is pretty much the case with ossobuco.

Besides, it's better than the alternative.

true true
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 08:26 pm
@panzade,
I can be obnoxious, yes, yes. But, I'm not always.
Carry on.
panzade

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 08:31 pm
@ossobuco,
when I look at life through your eyes osso, I see so many facets.
Thinking good thoughts about your eyes....my exam last week revealed that my eyes are back to 20/20...I've been blessed....and so will you be.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 08:31 pm
@ossobuco,
On the other hand, my ex was 11+ years younger and that was never a problem (he was a smartie). So, now, years later, finding that I'm always older than most posters is sort of weird. I'm always glad to see JLN around..
ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 08:36 pm
@ossobuco,
You're speaking to Ms. Avoidance. I will (she says) make the call tomorrow.
Anyway, thanks, and back to free speech...

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 08:41 pm
@ossobuco,
I have to add to this.. it seems to me a large amount of posters are about eight to twelve years younger than I am, and I pretty much relate to these posters as, ah, normal in my coterie. But.. few are older. It's strange.
Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 04:51 am
Finn wrote:
Of course the oath will not catch spys or subversives but it will reveal people who find loyalty to their country relative or ambiguous.

. . . and, asked for clarification, he wrote:

Quote:
Specifically, someone who will break the law and or violate their oath to leak a story or reveal secrets because their concious tells them too.

And you can tell all that by whether or not someone willingly pledges allegiance to a flag--to a rag hanging on a pole.

Your avatar of a bull elk is very appropriate, because just about all you do around here is peddle bullshit. Now the pledge of allegiance is a sure-fire litmus test of reliable loyalty, huh? Jesus, what a crock.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 05:00 am
Quoting Finn at thrtead beginning:

I think it's much ado about nothing, but have no problem with a child opting out of the pledge if he or she wishes to. Somehow I doubt that the majority of the children who do can support their decision in a reasoned fashion, but I don't think that should be a requirement for opting out.

As far as free speech issues go, this is a tempest in a teapot.

If a child has no respect for this country, rote reciting of the pledge isn't going to make a difference. Better that teachers discuss the issue in class.

Doesn't take long for his true feelings to break through.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 06:41 am

If government rejects their participation,
screwing them out of their natural right to vote,
then is there a REASON that the victims of this shoud SUPPORT the offending government ?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 06:51 am
@edgarblythe,
Finn, There is a fatal flaw in your argument.

You have failed show any link between the pledge of Allegiance and respect for the country.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 06:58 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I have to add to this.. it seems to me a large amount of posters are about eight to twelve years younger than I am, and I pretty much relate to these posters as, ah, normal in my coterie. But.. few are older. It's strange.

I have noticed that year after year,
people seem to be getting younger,
as the floors keep getting lower.
0 Replies

Yankee

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 07:03 am
@ebrown p,
When you go to a Ball Game and they play the National Anthem, do you stand like everyone else does?

If so, is it out of respect for the country?

If not, why not?
dyslexia

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 07:06 am
@Yankee,
Yankee wrote:

When you go to a Ball Game and they play the National Anthem, do you stand like everyone else does?

If so, is it out of respect for the country?

If not, why not?
no, I don't , neither do i stand before eating apple pie or riding in a chevrolet.