ARMADILLOS. how do you git rid of 'em???

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 11:18 pm
my sis moved next to a grain elevator, planted a nice garden, and now has an unwelcome armored nightly visitor...

any helpful info would be appreciated, and just to save time, Dave, she has absolutely NO business with firearms.

thank you all for your participation.

(I offered to swap her for my moles, but she refrained...)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 11 • Views: 7,412 • Replies: 79
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 11:22 pm
@Rockhead,
Flock it with brown fuzzy stuff and sell it as a wiener dog?
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 11:22 pm
@Rockhead,
https://www.msu.edu/~nixonjos/armadillo/problems.html

"The best solution (and the most expensive) is a stout fence to keep the armadillos out. If you take this route, make sure the fence is extended a foot or more into the ground, or the ’dillos might just burrow under it. You can also try an ultrasonic pest deterrent device. A few different models promise to remove armadillos, skunks, and other visitors from your yard. A less expensive method (that won’t annoy your dog or cat by accident, as an ultrasonic device can do) is to simply make the areas they dig in smell bad to the armadillo.

Armadillos have sensitive noses. (The armadillo’s olfactory bulbs " the part of the brain that detects odor " is about 1/3rd the size of their cerebrum, the part of the brain used for thought, learning and memory.) Anything with a strong, noxious odor can help evict an armadillo from a den. Mothballs have been used successfully in the past, and I have also heard that some armadillos do not like the smell of pine needles or pine mulch (they avoid foraging in areas with needles). Placing mothballs around the areas you most want to protect can keep pesky burrowers away. Peppering your whole lawn with them might be a bit drastic, but they might help you save your flower garden.'
Rockhead

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 11:24 pm
@panzade,
tis a rental for now.

no fence, cuz i would hafta donate lotsa labor...

(her fear is that it is gonna freak and charge her. silly wimmins)
panzade

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 11:26 pm
@Rockhead,
get some of her ol man's stinky cheese...
Rockhead

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 11:28 pm
@panzade,
he lives in the former residence currently, his stinky cheez needsa stay there...
panzade

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 11:38 pm
@Rockhead,
I'm gettin delirious...night
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 01:36 am
Solar powered electric fence?

I got no idea if this would work for armadillo but it'll keeps wombats at bay.

I betcha a 10er if you install a solar powered electic fence you will NEVER have trouble with wombats.
Gotta watch where you pee though.
margo

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 01:46 am
@dadpad,
Jeez - they told me if I planted a frangipani I'd never be troubled by wombats! It's worked - I have a franny in the front garden, and there ain't no wombats around here! (mind you - weren't none before the franny, either!)

Isn't it interesting the different problems people have - ain't no armadillos in my garden either! Mighty powerful those frangipanis.
dadpad

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 01:55 am
oy!.... margo....

show us yer franny
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 01:56 am
@margo,
what is a wombat Margo?

I don't know if armadillos are protected, but they make great handbags.

dadpad

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 01:57 am
@Sglass,
Its a piece of sporting equipment sglass, for playing Wom.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 01:59 am
http://www.basementclothing.ca/wombat.jpg
margo

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 02:00 am
@dadpad,
the original critter that eats roots and leaves
Sglass

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 02:08 am
@margo,
well how about a wombat lined armadillo purse.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 04:13 am
Cheap beer should do the trick: http://www.bayespix.com/armadillos/images/armadillo_drinking.jpg
Sglass

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 04:28 am
@jespah,
By golly that little booger is drinking Lone Star.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 04:31 am
If all else fails, armadillos can be walked up behind and grabbed by the tail. Dangling in the air, they are helpless. Many years ago, living northwest of San Antonio, I used to routinely grab them that way. Of course, planning ahead - having a box or cage at the ready to haul them away in - is essential.
dadpad

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 07:40 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

If all else fails, armadillos can be walked up behind and grabbed by the tail. Dangling in the air, they are helpless. Many years ago, living northwest of San Antonio, I used to routinely grab them that way. Of course, planning ahead - having a box or cage at the ready to haul them away in - is essential.

That doesnt sound too safe. I've heard they can freak and charge
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 11:58 am
@dadpad,
dadpad wrote:

edgarblythe wrote:

That doesnt sound too safe. I've heard they can freak and charge

I have encountered dozens of armadillos of the kind that live in the southwestern USA. They do not charge. They also have no teeth. The trick is to avoid those digging claws, which is why you hold them by the tail. I chased one once along the road. It seemed to have about the same running speed as a 25 year old me. It went into some cactus at the end.

The ones we caught when I was very young, we killed and ate. There is lots of meat on one of those things.