• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,651 • Replies: 27
No top replies

panzade

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 11:11 am
@hingehead,
Paul Dempsey's top 10 were a mystery to me...you antipods have such a different take on pop music....it's cool Cool
hingehead

Reply Tue 16 Jun, 2009 06:07 pm
@panzade,
From you Panz, that's a compliment. You have to remember though that the Js have been promoting alternative music since the mid 1970s, rather than pop or mainstream rock. I'd say they are largely responsible for the explosion of interesting oz music since the early 80s, merely by giving airplay to Australian indie acts and exposing them to a wider audience, which in turn gave the artists the confidence to hock their wares overseas.

Dempsey's top 10 are interesting - but only one Australia artist. I'm gonna go through them all and see if anyone else has more juxtaposition than Dylan and Slayer....
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 05:36 pm
Some of the celeb top tens are pretty cool - I love it when someone name checks a song for the same reasons I think it's great, but have never found anyone who agrees with me.

I was surprised though that Kermit the Frog's 'Rainbow Connection' got at least two mentions.

panzade

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 08:23 pm
@hingehead,
Adam Donovan's first choice is very interesting

Quote:
Fred Neil -Dolphins

guy knows his stuff
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 08:35 pm
@hingehead,
Quote:
I was surprised though that Kermit the Frog's 'Rainbow Connection' got at least two mentions.

Triple J listeners are not what they used to be! Wink
solipsister

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 09:29 pm
@msolga,
happy birthday

various artists
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 04:06 am
I've made the switch to Triple R Hinge.

sad day when Miff left JJJ.
hingehead

Reply Thu 18 Jun, 2009 06:55 pm
@dadpad,
I've seen so many great radio personalities move on from the Jays, but someone new always fills the gap. I get my Myf fix on Spicks and Specks. And I like Marieke Hardy. I was sad when Mikey and Paul left, and Adam and Wil. And Jay. And Maynard. And Arnold Frollowes. And Doug Mulray. And Cherry Ripe. Stuart Matchett. George Wayne. Laurie Zion. Sheesh. 33 years on i'm still listening. I'd love to find a discussion group talking about the music they used to play in the 70 to mid 80s - there's so much stuff I liked that I never knew the name of and have never been able to find.
solipsister

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 03:10 am
@hingehead,

the loved one
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 08:56 pm
Well the poll has closed and the jays are working backwards from 100

here's the list so far:

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/hottest100_alltime/countdown/cd_71-80.htm
http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/hottest100_alltime/countdown/cd_81-90.htm
http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/hottest100_alltime/countdown/cd_91-100.htm

Kind of surprising. I don't think they can call themselves 'youth' radio any more....
panzade

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2009 10:12 pm
@hingehead,
great stuff
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 06:21 pm
I'm listening to the live stream now:

60 Hurt - Johnny Cash!!! I love this song can't believe that nearly 20,000, 000 others do!

59 One crowded hour - Augie March
Australian. Popular in 2005, good song, was voted best for that year on the hottest 100 - which surprised me then as it does now

I like this band, I've met them a couple of times, once in the early 90s when they were supporting Grant Lee Buffalo. Had a nice long chat to the bass player after their set - I had never heard of them and just stood their smiling while they played, it was kind of like live at Pompeii Floyd, atmospheric songs that you couldn't tell whether they were anarchic jams or highly structured mini-symphonies. Eventually evolved into a quirkly alt pop/rock band

58 Around the world - Daft Punk
Never been a huge fan, and prefer better, faster, stronger to this track. People's tastes are always interesting - I can't imagine anyone putting this in their personal top ten of all time, but a lot must have.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 06:32 pm

46 and 2 - Tool

Tool have a hard core fan base, I've never really got into them, they strike me as intelligent prog metal but a little hard to get passionate about.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 06:40 pm
56 Lover you should have come over - Jeff Buckley

another act people get passionate about that I can take or leave (I kind of liked his version of Hallelujah).

That's his second appearance, so I'm guessing he has at least two more entries. Jeff Buckley responsible for four of the best 100 songs of all time? Na.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 06:42 pm
55 Like a rolling stone - Bob Dylan

The dyla monster makes an appearance at last! Other people's passions again.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 06:51 pm
54 Close To You - The Cure

I like the Cure, but again I ask "Who would put this in their personal top 10?"
hingehead

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 07:06 pm
@hingehead,
53 Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd

PPPFFFT (coffee on screen), yeah I like it but it's hard to believe the J audience would vote for it.

Man I want to see the demographics on the voters!
hingehead

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 07:19 pm
@hingehead,
52 ( I think, been tinkering with openfire and distracted) Bullet with butterfly wings - Smashing Pumpkins.

Ok this one I understand, might have been in my top 100 at one point. You move on from songs don't you?
hingehead

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2009 07:22 pm
@hingehead,
Oops I was distracted

52 was Berlin Chair by You Am I (another Australian alt act - this song is notable in that it inspired the 'chair' part of Silverchair's name. I think the other part was inspired by a song called Sliver by a band like Helmet or Tool - too lazy to look it up.

That's it till 4pm local time. Thanks for listening