Moving to SAN DIEGO?

DrMom

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 03:02 pm
We are settled in South Florida. My husband is considering a Job in SD. I was curious regarding the quality of Public schoold appreciate ils , Family life and such. I would appreciate input from Folks who live there.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,035 • Replies: 6
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 10:33 pm
I have friends in SD and I visit them all the time. They love it, the weather's beautiful and it's pretty safe.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 11:29 pm
San Diego is a great place to raise a family. Depending on what part of town
you wish to live, public schools are very good. The weather is perfect - almost
all year round mild temperatures, no humidity and rarely reaches 80 F (unless you live in the inland valleys). For the kids, there is Sea World, the Zoo, Wild Animal Park, lots of beach activities and bicycle opportunities.

farmerman

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 04:23 am
@CalamityJane,
I was stationed there for about 2 months once a long time ago. It was just entering its boom phase so there were still some charming picturesque glades and areas that are all bulldozed now. The climate is great , but it seems unreal to me. Its the town of the STepford Wives.(if they were Navy wives). I visited several years ago and was disappointed as to what had been destroyed by development. Housing prices are outrageous for what you get.
CalamityJane

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 09:22 am
@farmerman,
Yes, you're absolutely right, farmerman! So much has been destroyed by
development and it's disheartening to see that the city hasn't stopped yet,
despite the real estate slump. Prices did come down somewhat in the inland
valleys, but along the coast it's pretty outrageous when they advertise a fixer-upper from 1950 for over $1 million.

Despite all this, it's still a very desirable place to live in, especially along the
coast, where mass developments are limited due to coastal zoning laws.
You still can find the "Stepford Wives" in suburbia - beautiful McMansions
with manicured yards, stay-at home Moms and tons of playgrounds and other activities for the little ones. Looks something like this
Santaluz
NickFun

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 12:20 pm
@CalamityJane,
But the big nude beach is still there. Stepford wives rarely venture there.
0 Replies

DrMom

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 03:28 pm
thanks a lot guys, my husband had a series of interviews with Sony Corp. They offered it to someone who worked previously with Sony. So much for that!!
He is still looking. Atleast now I know more about SD thanks to you guys.
0 Replies