finding contractors

Sun 21 Sep, 2008 02:12 pm
We've finally gotten an offer accepted in SD. So now that we're in the process of getting the home, when we settle, we're going to want to make it our own.
We are completely new to San Diego. Does anyone have any suggestions on where we can find out about good painters and other residential remodel contractors?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,190 • Replies: 7
Topic Closed
No top replies

Robert Gentel

Sun 21 Sep, 2008 02:26 pm
@jeckyjil,
Google local allows you to search for local businesses and read user reviews. Here is an example search for "san diego contractors"

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=san+diego+contractors&view=text
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Sun 21 Sep, 2008 02:48 pm
@jeckyjil,
I suggest you subscribe to a review service like Angie's list. It's like $10/year but you do get really good information on who shows up on time, who completes the work as agreed, who sucks, etc.
jespah

Sun 21 Sep, 2008 03:40 pm
@Foxfyre,
To add to what Foxy said, there's also the Better Business Bureau. Might want to check both when checking out a contractor. Oh, and do make sure whoever you get has got liability insurance.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 21 Sep, 2008 03:58 pm
@jeckyjil,
I'm still a licensed landscape architect in California, even though I don't practice there anymore (who knows, I may give some advice on my next visit). We architects and contractors in California are very familiar with the California State Board that licenses contractors, receives complaints about contractors, and checks out the complaints and requires, or doesn't require, remedies or rescinds licenses.

Licensing in California is a serious concern. If you hire a licensed person you will have recourse if you have future complaints. Not that all licensed people are terrific, nor that all unlicensed are dismal, but there is a competence test to past re practice and professionalism to get that license. I consider that test minimal.

Well, here's a starter link - http://www.cslb.ca.gov/

Hah, I say that, but have to research the exact link for you. Back in a minute.
ossobuco

Sun 21 Sep, 2008 04:05 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, I edited in a funny place and had a typo. Oh, well.

And the CSLB site is much more user friendly than when I last saw it..
hawkeye10

Sun 21 Sep, 2008 04:10 pm
@jeckyjil,
nothing beats getting to know people, and asking who they would recommend. I caution against using the Internet services for guidance, for while it is fine to use such a unreliable method when picking a restaurant it will not do for serious matters such as home repair. If you have a homeowners association talk to them first.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Sun 21 Sep, 2008 04:18 pm
@ossobuco,
Additionally, I'd take your time.
You might be new to San Diego and new to your new house, but you do somewhat know yourselves. I say somewhat, but we all haven't thought about everything possible before. I think there is no harm done if you settle in your house as it is and start to figure out what you like and don't like. Opinions on this can change - play with what you are thinking to do and imagine living with it.
People often jump too fast at this stage. Many a place has been remodelled and hated. Time spent on what you as a family/couple/yourself actually want is not wasted.

Circulation within a house is important. We changed where the doorways were in our house, much for the better. Not all is decoration. Think about how the house works, or doesn't work.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » finding contractors
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 06:20:46