SALT HAS FORMED A SOLID MASS AT BOTTOME OF TANK

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 05:36 pm
My husband placed k-life salt in the tanik about 4 months ago. Yesterday our hot water tank wasn't working so he opened up the softner lid to check that tank to see if something there could be causing the hot water tank to malfunction. Whhen he removed the lid he noticed the salt he had added several months ago was still in the tank. I checked to see why and found that the salt he added and solidified itself in the bottom of the tank. I called the place where we purchsed the salt and they said that the tank obviously had rejuvinated itself (flushed itself) and that is probably what caused the salt to not dissolve. How do I rememdy this problem? In one of your posts you recommend ouring hot water into the tank to dissolve the salt. There is water in the tank, do I remove that first? And Must i first turn the tank off to do this? And how do I turn the tank off? By unplugging it? Please get back to me at your earliest conveinence. I am a mother of 5 and do not have the extra money to put out on a repair man so I am hoping to remedy the rpoblem ourselves. Any assistance you could give us with this problem would be greatly appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 5,225 • Replies: 5
No top replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 05:34 am
@Barbs5boys,

Never have more than two bags of salt in the brine tank at any given time.

You need to scoop/dump all of the salt out of the brine tank, rinse the tank and start over.
You can reuse the salt you have that is still in a solid pellet form.

Why K-Life?
What brand is the softener?
Barbs5boys

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 08:36 am
@H2O MAN,
It was k-life.. the kind we were told was good to use. The problem arose when the electric went out, my husband unplugged the tank so that when the electric came back on it wouldn't cause an overload of the circuit. But he had forgotten to plug it back in and added the salt. the salt solidified in the bottom of the tank.
Barbs5boys

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 08:43 am
@Barbs5boys,
I forgot to add, I wanted to know how to get the solid mass out of the tank. In another post you said placing hot water in the tank would dissolve the salt. Should I try this? Do you think it would help. And I believe only 1 bag was added.But it appears that thw whole bag solidified. And the person at the place where I purchase my k-life said it was probably due to the fact that the system wasn't able to flush itself out. And also, do you think this would effect the hot water heater? Like perhaps not enough water being admitted to the hot water tank?
Barbs5boys

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 10:14 am
@Barbs5boys,
the system we have is a Master NS 30 t by
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Tue 2 Jun, 2009 12:19 pm

This situation should not cause a problem with your water heater.
You can try hot water anduse a broom handle or other such object to break
up the solid mass into chunks that are easier to lift or dump out of the tank.
Be very careful not to damage the brine tank, you don't want it to leak.
0 Replies