Blondes march in Latvia to cheer-up the nation

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 03:32 pm
Quote:
Several hundred blonde women marched through the Latvian capital Riga in a bid to cheer up the crisis-hit Baltic nation, suffering the worst recession of all 27 EU member states.

http://i41.tinypic.com/315ibly.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/34reqdi.jpg
Photos: AFP/GETTY

Quote:
Led by an orchestra, the first-ever blonde parade featured women dressed in pink and white, some accompanied by lapdogs, in a charity fund-raising event that organisers hope will become an annual event.

"I'm not stupid. I'm beautiful and I'll prove it," Ilona Zigure, a participant, said.

Organisers said they were determined to bring positive energy to their country, expected to see its economy contract by 16 per cent this year.

The parade was part of a "Blonde Weekend" which also featured a blonde golf tournament, a little lady fashion show, an evening ball, and a children's drawing competition.

"It's a great time to spend in the parade and contribute to a charity," said Ieva, one blonde spectator.

"Finally something different, something positive because I'm tired of hearing about the crisis," said another, 70-year-old Ausma.

The event attracted many locals and puzzled tourists.

Following the parade, blondes climbed into open-topped cars and drove to the local shopping centre.

The money collected during the event will be donated to support children's safety and playgrounds for disabled children in Riga and across Latvia.

The organisers want to make May 31 official Blondes' Day in Latvia.

Latvia, a small Baltic nation with the population of 2.3 million people has been going through the deepest recession in the European Union, which it joined in 2004.

Text: Daily Telegraph
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 12 • Views: 5,238 • Replies: 18
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 03:46 pm
Dang it I thought it was next week!
Diest TKO

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 04:15 pm
I'm amused and confused equally.

T
K
O
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 05:47 pm
If they held the event in a California beach wearing bikinis, it would help California. What is California without blondes in bikinis?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 05:54 pm
Thanx for posting that, Walter. Frankly, I wasn't even aware that the recession had hit my native land that hard. (But any excuse to ogle blonde Latvian girls will do!)
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 06:32 pm
Are they all natural blondes? I have noticed many Eastern European women in the U.S. are bleached blondes, even though some are natural blondes. Was blonde always considered "special," or is this a recent preference by some?
old europe

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 06:35 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
I have noticed many Eastern European women in the U.S. are bleached blondes

How did you notice that?
Foofie

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 07:14 pm
@old europe,
old europe wrote:

Foofie wrote:
I have noticed many Eastern European women in the U.S. are bleached blondes

How did you notice that?

The dark roots at the part in the hair. Also dark eyebrows.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 07:50 pm
I think all young women should turn blond and march down the street in every country. Make sure the skirts are short. That will give a rise to the economy.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 08:19 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
Was blonde always considered "special," or is this a recent preference by some?

In the case of Latvians, it was never considered "special", just part of a predominant genetic trait. Most Latvians tend to be "fair." In the case of many other European cultures (read: British) blondeness was a standard of feminine beauty. Shakespeare, in his sonnets, echoes the prejudices of his time by denigrating brunettes, then turns the tables by lauding the beauty of "the dark lady" against conventional taste.
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 08:31 pm
And they zey have vunderful accents too.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 10:38 pm
Well, they put a smile on my face !
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 09:48 am
I do not think blondes are any different than any other woman. Actually, I believe society prefers taller women, as the basic criterion of "exceptional" good looks.

0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 10:13 am
Hmmmm, odd. I would prefer men in short shorts, or at least equal parts men and women... Not sure how the stereotypical cheap selling of women helps Latvia in the long run, but that's nothing new or unique. It's a good idea to have a positive event, but something less cliche and stereotyping would perhaps be even more positive. No?
panzade

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 10:19 am
@jespah,
are you a blonde?...didn't think so... Laughing
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 01:40 pm
@dagmaraka,
Quote:
I'm not stupid! I'm beautiful! And I'll prove it!

By going to the mall!

T
K
O
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 03:22 pm
oh good god. can't tell if it's for real or an attempt at humor.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 06:08 pm
They certainly cheered me up, as men in shorts could never do.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 1 Jun, 2009 06:20 pm
Don't you know about Riga yet? Sheesh! Where've ya bin?
0 Replies