Wilso

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 03:17 am
Do you know who is in the highest position in the world?

President Barack Obama?

No!

UN Secretary General?

No!

Pope Benedict?

No!

Wonder No Longer...

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/Wilso38/Things/crane.jpg

Babu Sassi, a fearless young man from southern India is the cult hero of Dubai 's army of construction workers.

Known as the "Indian on the top of the world", Babu is the crane operator at the world's tallest building , the 819-meter Burj Dubai. His office, the cramped crane cab perched on top of the Burj, is also his home. Apparently it takes too long to come down to the ground each day to make it worthwhile. When the building is completed, its elevators will be the world's fastest.

Stories about his daily dalliance with death are discussed in revered terms by Dubai 's workers. Some say he has been up there for more than a year, others whisper that he's paid 30,000 dirhams ($8,168) a month compared with the average wage of 800 dirhams a month. All agree he's worth it.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 6,614 • Replies: 13
No top replies

msolga

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 03:47 am
@Wilso,
One has to ask: "why"? Confused

What does the tallest building in the world signify, exactly?
farmerman

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 04:01 am
You dont understand "Big Dick" contests. Its a guy thing.
msolga

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 04:04 am
@farmerman,
Actually, I strongly suspected it had something to do with The Big Dick Syndrome, farmer. I was just looking for some verification. Thank you! Wink
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 10:14 am
The Science Channel had a documentary on yesterday showing the history of the construction of the tower. Just from what I saw in that documentary, anyone who decides to purchase real estate in or near that tower is a fool. There are so many defects being covered up and construction shortcuts being done to keep the project on schedule, that it won't take very much to topple it.
Wilso

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 06:53 pm
That wage that he's paid is not particularly spectacular for men in that field.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 07:41 pm
Actually, I don't think he's the 'highest.' Whoever is climbing Mt. Everest this week is probably higher up. Another guy thing. Reason I've never been tempted to climb Everest (ar anything else in the Himalayas) is because it's there.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 03:58 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
One has to ask: "why"? Confused

What does the tallest building in the world signify, exactly?

If this weren't the tallest building in the world, you wouldn't be talking about it right now. That's the obvious reason to build the world's tallest building, for the marketing windfall. Other than that there's the significant engineering challenge. This is a part of human nature that I love, and is little different from those who want to push their limits in a marathon, or those who wanted a man on the moon. There doesn't have to be a reason for many people other than the challenge itself, and that's a wonderful (IMO) thing about human nature.

I think the phallus theory is simplistic pseudo-psychology (I guess this reveals where I stand in the Freud Wars) at its worst and the folk who take any large cylinder and bring up the cliché penis theories are the ones with dick on their mind. Buildings are shaped that way for very simple reasons that really have nothing to do with penises.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 05:32 am
He LIVES up there????

That is amazing....
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 05:36 am
after reading gungasnake's posts, i'd say he's the highest person in the world
0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 05:42 am
@Wilso,
hiya & higher
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 11:56 am
@Butrflynet,
Here's the schedule of broadcasts for the Build It Bigger episode on the tower, if anyone is interested in watching it:
Quote:

Jun 01,
10:00 pm
60 min(s)
Build it Bigger
Abu Dhabi

Host Danny Forster visits the $500 billion Al Raha Beach developm

Jun 02,
1:00 am
60 min(s)
Build it Bigger
Abu Dhabi

Jun 02,
5:00 pm
60 min(s)
Build it Bigger
Abu Dhabi

Jun 03,
5:00 am
60 min(s)
Build it Bigger
Abu Dhabi

0 Replies

jamesoconner

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2012 06:16 am
@Wilso,
Ukrainian "Leonid stadnik highest person.
0 Replies

roseH01244

Reply Fri 3 Aug, 2012 01:04 pm
@Wilso,
Highest building is shown in that picture. Robert Wadlow is the tallest person in the word.
0 Replies