solid salt bridge at the bottom of my water softener

Troyv

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 10:32 pm
I have a SOLID salt bridge at the bottom of my water softener. It is hard as a rock and it goes about 2-3 feet up from the bottom of the tank. I have tried to break it out but it is so hard. Is there anything that will dissolve the solid mass of salt? Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 8,745 • Replies: 3
No top replies

sullyfish6

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 05:33 am
Just Google: salt buildup in water softener:

When loosely compacted salt pellets or cube-style salt is used in a resin, it may form tiny crystals of evaporated salt, which are similar to table salt. These crystals may bond, creating a thick mass in the brine tank. This phenomenon, commonly known as 'mushing', may interrupt brine production. Brine production is the most important element for refreshing of the resin beads in a water softener. Without brine production, a water softener is not able produce soft water

Read more: http://www.lenntech.com/water-softener-
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 30 May, 2009 12:22 pm
@Troyv,
Troyv wrote:

I have a SOLID salt bridge at the bottom of my water softener. It is hard as a rock and it goes about 2-3 feet up from the bottom of the tank. I have tried to break it out but it is so hard. Is there anything that will dissolve the solid mass of salt? Thanks

Broom handles usually work.
0 Replies

Joethewaterguy

Reply Sun 31 May, 2009 02:03 pm
@Troyv,
lots of hot water
0 Replies