Y The War on Drugs is UnAmerican

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 04:54 pm

As I see it,
narcotic drugs (used for non-medical reasons) r poison.
Slavery to chemistry will reduce the happiness and length of your life.

In America, no government has ever been granted authority
to save any citizen from his own poor judgment.
It is by an act of naked USURPATION
that government ventures to save any of us from our own poor judgment.
Government was created to defend our rights from violation by OTHERS.

No one in Congress nor in any legislature (so far as I am aware)
has raised his voice to complain of government being so bold
as to interfere in our own personal choices (including ingestion).

Each and every citizen has an unlimited RIGHT
to engage in self destructive conduct,
so long as that conduct does not violate any one ELSE's rights.

It saddens me that my fellow citizens do not challenge government on this basis.

David
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,267 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 05:04 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
In America, no government has ever been granted authority to save any citizen from his own poor judgment.

No government? Ever? These are strong words. Have you read every state constitution that was ever in operation in the US?

I agree with you that the War on Drugs by the federal government is un-American, even though I wouldn't use exactly that language. But those state constitutions, they have some pretty weird stuff in them. I wouldn't be so quick to rule out that they grant their governments some power to protect citizens from themselves.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 05:25 pm
I think some people have to be protected from themselves or they become a burden to society (ie: drunk drivers) . However, I think we should give up this "war on drugs" and focus more on creating a society that makes it less likely people will want use them. We should make drugs legal and regulate their use like they do in Switzerland. Drugs should be taxed and users should be given options to get help. As far as I know, Switzerland does not have illegal drug cartels or dealers wandering around night clubs. I also understand that heroin use has plummeted in Switzerland since the it was legalized. In the US heroin use is once again on the rise.
engineer

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 05:29 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

In America, no government has ever been granted authority
to save any citizen from his own poor judgment.

What about the 18th amendment to the Constitution? Blue laws were common into the 80's. If the government can tell you not to shop on Sunday, why wouldn't they tell you not to take drugs?
Thomas

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 05:50 pm
@Green Witch,
It's a bit of a stretch to say heroin is legal in Switzerland, and although I can't speak to nightclubs, there are definitely drug dealers in public parks there. Nevertheless, I agree with the spirit of your suggestion.
Green Witch

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 06:02 pm
@Thomas,
I always thought it was legal but regulated by the government. I remember walking through a "drug park" in Bern and being told it was a legal space to do drugs supplied by a government clinic. A sort of RV was on-site and set up as the clinic. I admit that is the extent of my real life experience, so I bow to your better knowledge.
Thomas

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 06:12 pm
@Green Witch,
Well, I only said it's a bit of a stretch. You're not completely wrong. There is indeed a policy of emphasizing prevention and damage control over prosecution. But it's just a policy, not full-blown legalization. If you had tried to legally buy Heroin in Bern, you would have been unsuccessful.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 06:27 pm
@engineer,
Good point about the 18th amendment, engineer.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 06:56 pm
The government is neither enjoined to nor enjoined from legislating against self-destructive behavior by citizens. I agree that the "war on drugs" is a stupid idea, and that it doesn't work--largely because the focus is on enforcement, with special emphasis on newsworthy "busts." However, the fact that the government is not doing it well is not evidence either that it can't be done well, or that it shouldn't be done at all. The state has a compelling interest in promoting the general welfare, and drug and alcohol abuse can be seen as inimical to the general welfare.

I don't agree that there is any constitutional argument which can be made, though, against the government prohibiting certain substances from public distribution. Arsenic may kill you more quickly than heroin or whiskey, but no more surely. I doubt that anyone could argue persuasively that the government has no right to control the distribution of arsenic, nor access to it.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 09:02 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Y The War on Drugs is UnAmerican

I don't know if it's unamerican. But it's stupid and non-functional. And I believe it's causing more damage to society than it's preventing (it has a negative overall ROI).
0 Replies