relocating individual ants and ants like my feet!

lipwak

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 09:03 am
Hi,

Each spring I get ants in my house. I am now using ant baits in the hope they will take it and die back in their nest but in the meantime, every time I see an ant, I manage to pick it up and I toss it outside. My question is, will they survive out there? They will be away from their nest, tossed from a second story landing onto some grass. I wonder how they will do away from their nest.

The other question I have is, why do they like my feet? I sit in my easy chair and several times a day, an ant will start crawling up my leg. What is it about my feet that they like?

Thank you.

John L
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,903 • Replies: 2
No top replies

roger

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 01:39 pm
@lipwak,
I doubt they will survive without hive support, but can't be sure. If they annoy your feet, you might lightly rub them with cinnamon. Most ants don't like it, it doesn't hurt them, and your feet will smell nice.

Cinnamon can also be used on ant trails. They will find some place else to use for a parade ground.
lipwak

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 09:07 am
@roger,
Thanks. That's just the answer I was looking for. I don't want to outright kill them but I guess I am doing the same thing by relocating them to places without hive support.

I don't think I'll rub my feet with cinnamon but I have heard ants don't like it and that it can be used to stop them marching around, as you say. Right now I am using baking soda which, if it isn't fresh, I've seen ants climb over.
0 Replies