Preserve: Old Signs/Building Preservation Project

djjd62

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 10:40 am
Preserve is on going project to produce a permanent visual record of hand painted building signage. Many of these are being erased from our cityscapes either being worn away by weather over time, covered as buildings have been repainted, disappearing as buildings are demolished or replaced with modern signage equivalents. This site will be updated regularly with my latest images and you are invited to contribute to this work.

Preserve

http://www.preserve.co.nz/images/masur-bros-hardware_lockhart-texas.jpg

from the site: The signage in the image above (from Lockhart, Texas, USA taken by Cherie Benoit) to my thinking should be placed with a protection order. Not only is this advertising from days past a historic record of that time but also could now be considered as a work of art in its own right. It gives character to the building on which it is placed and the town that it occupies and is indeed an impressive thing to behold.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,816 • Replies: 1
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 10:53 am
i love this kind of stuff, i wish i'd been able to get a picture of an old building in a town near me, the wall had been covered for years and during renovations a faded sign was revealed painted on the side, advertising a restaurant that had been there years before, the tag line read, "Good Food, White Help", this was small town canada

the sign had been visible up into the mid 6o's before being covered over, after it was uncovered it was painted over an covered with a siding
0 Replies