ORGANIC VEGGIES AND FRUITS__IS IT WORTH IT?

JPB

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 09:39 am
@Cycloptichorn,
The one I was just looking at is $585 pre-paid for 30 weekly pickups and $375 for 15 (every other week). So, basically, 20-25/week.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 09:40 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

The one I was just looking at is $585 pre-paid for 30 weekly pickups and $375 for 15 (every other week). So, basically, 20-25/week.

wtf? That's a shitload to pre-pay! I guess there are so many clients out here, they don't mind doing month-to-month; no contract, no nothing.

I bet you can find one where you don't have to plunk down money up front.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 09:45 am
http://www.organicconsumers.org/state/greenbiz.cfm?all=homedelivery

List of home delivery CSA's per state

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 09:56 am
AS dys said, organic v non organic isnt what better taste is based upon. Its based upon local fresh v distant "picked unripe and ripened in transit" I notice that noiw, with the large call for kiwi fruits, the CAlif model of picking **** that isnt anywhere near ripe and then shooting them with ethylene gases is now giving us kiwi fruits that have lost ALL taste . I tell our local markets that, if they cant get fresher picked , then dont even sell the damn things.

ORGANIC imparts no enhanced flavor. Ill argue that point with anyone. LOCAL grown foods are the best. We are surrounded by AMish truck farms,(Some organic, some not) The best that organic can say is that they believe that their foods are Pesticide free and therefore healthier.

As far as organic meats and milk, organically raised cattle medicated too. Except they use specific meds. I have no idea how the organic meat producers keep animals from getting WORMS (and they do).
In PA, the fee for disposing dead animals is now about 500$ because of cadaver rules.
Worming agents like tramisol or Ivermecten are standard tools to raising cattle. (Stating that organic cattle are in better health is naive because the worms are in the pastures and the animals eat the grass and get infected). Im still looking for a real organic antiworm agent. I dont hear of any on the horizon and I check in quite frequently with the med guys over at New Bolton center which is about 15 miles SE from me.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 10:00 am
@Green Witch,
Some organic wormers (Ill just stick with this topic for now), Include diatomaceous earth or garlic extracts. SO far , from everything Ive read, none of these things has been shown to work at all. Its a big scam like those tv weight control meds. If an animal gets infected with worms (and its routine here in the US) what is the organic solution?
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 10:01 am
I love those people who buy organic bananas - Twisted Evil
Needless to say, I don't buy organic fruits or vegetables, but I do buy organic
eggs and chicken because I can taste the difference.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 10:03 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
If an animal gets infected with worms (and its routine here in the US) what is the organic solution?

Eat the worms? Smile

Cycloptichorn
farmerman

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 10:06 am
@Cycloptichorn,
next time I see some, Ill send you a couple. You come up with some recipes.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 10:10 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

next time I see some, Ill send you a couple. You come up with some recipes.

Recycle them into fresh fish? I dunno. I'm not on some crusade against modern meat production techniques or anything - I focus on flavor and freshness.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 10:14 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

I love those people who buy organic bananas - Twisted Evil
Needless to say, I don't buy organic fruits or vegetables...

I gather there's a story there... I'm not familiar with the organic banana saga.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 10:21 am
@farmerman,
Local, I'll absolutely go for. Although even at farmers' markets you've got to watch very carefully where the stuff is from. If there is a good vetting process at the market or I know the vendor I'm most comfortable with it.

Organic I sort of avoid, esp in the U.S., where the definition seems to vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Marketing. Sheer marketing.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 10:42 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Some organic wormers (Ill just stick with this topic for now), Include diatomaceous earth or garlic extracts. SO far , from everything Ive read, none of these things has been shown to work at all. Its a big scam like those tv weight control meds. If an animal gets infected with worms (and its routine here in the US) what is the organic solution?
just an aside, I always gave my piglets a few lumps of coal, they ate it and that was the end of their worms.
farmerman

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 11:03 am
@dyslexia,
so you feed em phenols an benzene (plenty of this in coal)
High Seas

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 11:44 am
@farmerman,
FM - could you please consider whether all the coal Dys fed to his piggies might have some connection with Diane's missing ring: there was no benzene in it!
http://focus.aps.org/files/focus/v22/st5/coal_diamond.jpg
High Seas

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 12:03 pm
@High Seas,
Did the poster who disapproved think that turning diamonds into coal isn't possible? Sure it is.........
http://focus.aps.org/story/v22/st5
Quote:
Tomas Weller of the ISIS Neutron Facility in England has shown that the right kind of laser pulse can convert ............ diamonds into graphite

........and may also work in reverse:
Quote:
the work suggests that the graphite in any pencil tip exposed to sunlight for a long time may contain tiny regions that snap to the diamond structure after being excited to the intermediate state.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 01:11 pm
@farmerman,
I don't have enough experience with large farm animals to give you an answer, Farmerman. I remember Joel Salatin writing something about worms and livestock in one of his books, maybe in Everything I Want to Do Is Illegal. If I find it I will post it.

Farmer's markets are the best places to buy veggies if you don't grow your own. Most CSA's give you too much of one thing at a time. The best CSAs let you pick what you want.

Organic can be as cheap as regular if you know what you're doing. Organic chicken costs the same as McNuggets lb for lb. You don't have to buy things like tree nuts organically because they are low or no spray to start. You have to educate yourself about where your food comes from and how it is created in order to have the best diet for yourself and the earth.

I agree that freshness is the most important part of taste. Nothing beats free range, local eggs and ripe fruit picked off a tree. Most supermarket produce has spent days riding around in a truck or sitting in a warehouse. I've been preaching local and small scale for almost 3 decades. I love it that I'm finally seeing people join my parade.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 01:17 pm
Okay, here's the one all my friends are using -

http://www.farmfreshtoyou.com/index.php

And their price list, weekly, delivery included -
Quote:

Mixed Fruit and Veggie

Small Mixed
$23.00

Regular Mixed
$31.50

More Mixed
$44.00

Monster Mixed
$55.00

Capay Valley
$31.50

More Capay Valley
$44.00

Easy to Prepare Services

(no cooking required)

Mostly Fruit
$31.50

More Mostly Fruit
$44.00

Sm, Fast Fruit Veg.
$23.00

Fast Fruit & Veg.
$31.50

More Fast Fruit Veg.
$44.00

Veggie Only

Veggies Only
$31.50

More Veggies Only
$44.00

Fruit Only, Home and Office

Small Fruit Only
$23.00

Fruit Only
$31.50

More Fruit Only
$44.00

Mini Snack Pack
$45.00

Small Snack Pack
$60.00

Medium Snack Pack
$85.00

Large Snack pack
$110

They let you add or subtract more of what you like or don't, as well. Very flexible.

Here's this week's menu for the 'regular' box - with location of origin listed -

Quote:

2 cnt Riverside Navel Orange

1.5 lb Our Farm Mixed Tomato, heirloom

1 pnt Watsonville Strawberries Berries

1 cnt Our Farm Yellow Seeded Melon, water

1 bu Our Farm Green Dandelion

1 cnt San Juan Bautista Curly Leaf Parsely

1 bu Our Farm Nantes Carrot

1 cnt Lamont Green Onion

.75 lb Our Farm Gypsy, sweet Pepper

.5 lb Washington Fresh Rhubarb

.5 lb Our Farm Baby Mixed Lettuce

Not bad for home delivery!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 02:00 pm
@Green Witch,
Ive been a bit partial to locally grown foods because of the fact that its picked fresh and ripe its the way we were meant to eat food. Grow foods that must be picked in their childhoods and artificially ripened on a train or truck is not natural.

saab

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 02:22 pm
@farmerman,
I prefer to buy local food if it is possible.
Friends of ours had a apple orchard specializing in old fashioned apples. Because of some stupid EU laws they had to destroy all their apples - get subventions from Brussels because we in EU have to buy apples from New Zealand.
Talking about fresh food. Some years ago I went into our local butcher store and asked for a file of pork. Can you wait 5 minutes the lady said - yes I said and she came with a package which was all warm. I asked if it was already fried? No the pig had just been slaughtered.
That is the freshest meat I have had and it sure was good.
Danish file of pork is half price compared with Swedish and twice as good.
Of course I prefer to buy the Danish even though the papers try to tell us that the Swedish has a higher standard. It does not - so I in this case certainly donĀ“t buy local food.
farmerman

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 02:29 pm
@saab,
The govt can tell you to destroy your apple trees? Whaaaaa? Come to the USA, we have entire villages that are established to grow old varietals just to make apple sauces (Summer Pippins and "Winter Bananas" are just two very flavorful old style apples). If the govr screws with my apple orchard, it will be in direct conflict with my second amendment rights.

WHAT is a FILE of pork? it sounds like ribs.