What five pieces of music do you love the most? And why?

panzade

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 09:02 pm
@chrissyf,
welcome chrissy...indeed a great selection!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 09:16 pm
@chrissyf,
Lol!!!

I am gradually checking out all this stuff!!!

Meanwhile here is my current favourite adagio:

The Adagio from Mahler's Symphony No 5:

hingehead

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 11:26 pm
@dlowan,
OK Deb, because you're talking about broadening I'm gonna go to the edges of my blob-like taste.

Koyaanisqatsi - the film and the music together. They just take me somewhere else. It makes feel so isolated and alienated but it's moth to a flame stuff. It makes me accept mortality, even welcome it. I hate sharing it because no-one else seems to get the same thing out of it (lots of 'what's this ****?' comments). It just sends my train of thought off in so many different directions each time I see/hear it - and I get massive eargasms (shivers down spine etc).

I particularly love the intro with the subsonic organ and the chanters but Youtube isn't going to do that justice - so try this sampler:

Forbidden Colours - David Sylvian/Ryuichi Sakamoto. Always makes me want to cry. Has meant many different things to me at different times.

I got a girl in Kalamazoo - Tex Beneke/Glenn Miller Orchestra. Always puts a smile on my face, a bit like 'Singing in the rain' from the Clockwork Orange soundtrack. If only life was a musical.

Kothbiro - Ayoub Ogada. Still shivering while I write this - again so otherworldly, just takes me out this time, this place, this way of thinking, this fate.

Lock It - Falling Joys. Just to boost the up side of this selection. My kind of love song - I really understand what she's saying, and there's no moon spoon june.

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 06:17 am
I LOVE Koyaanisqatsi, it's my favorite film. Shame the sequal wasn't as good.
dlowan

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 06:57 am
@hingehead,
Fascinating selection, Hinge!!!

Love the Tibetan monks chanting in Koyaanisqatsi.
panzade

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 07:24 am
@dlowan,
i remember when I was a kid, we had an aborigine painting on a huge piece of cloth hung up on the wall...and of course Banjo Patterson was a favorite...Rolf Harris did a version of Waltzing Matilda that I listened to a lot

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 03:35 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
the queen wrote:
I LOVE Koyaanisqatsi, it's my favorite film. Shame the sequal wasn't as good.

Trust you to be my soul sister! The 'trequel' was rubbish too. Have you ever seen/heard Baraka? That's pretty good too, but it's not the super K.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 06:20 pm
Sorry Deb but I have to add more as I come across them and my memory is jogged:

0 Replies