What five pieces of music do you love the most? And why?

dlowan

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 07:13 am
@dyslexia,
Do you like Dan Hicks and his Hot Licks?

I do....
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 07:21 am
@dlowan,
Whats it in aid of dlowan? x
dlowan

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 07:26 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
Exactly what I said....dipping into music I am unfamiliar with.

And I am just really interested if people CAN distil it down....and I thought others might also be interested.

Perhaps I should have asked the old desert island question?

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 07:47 am
@dlowan,
Yeah, no it is interesting.
I found it hard to 'distill it down.' I don't think what I put is really a distillation of my musical tastes. Is it even possible to do that? One thing that was interesting was that as I 'selected' I noticed I thought about the general ideology, and how the 5 would reflect my wider tastes rather than just the 5 pieces of music I liked best.
For example I was going to put Messiah down, but although I like it, I don't really think it 'sums my tastes up' because generally I'm more concerned with late romantic/modernist music more than I am Baroque.
dlowan

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 07:54 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
Now THAT'S the kind of thought and discussion I hoped this might generate.

Ditto with the book one.

I am really interested in hearing people talk about their choices and maybe get into discussing them.

Just lists are ok, I guess, but I really like to know about people's feelings/thinking.

I guess I am bored by just lists...and, as I said, having some background helps me figure out if I might like to follow up a selection or not.

But the question seems to have caused a reaction I don't really get in a few people.

C'est la vie.

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 08:06 am
@dlowan,
Pretty sure I've mentioned at least these first two before.

1. Wahran - Cheb Khaled from the cd Sahara (haunting strings and entrancing melody)
2. Cancao do Mar - Dulce Pontes (haunting voice -- apparently I like to be haunted)
3. Cottonfields - Credence Clearwater Revival (sang it to my babies)
4. Forever Amen - Randy Travis (no idea why)
5. Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen (still brilliant after all these years)
dlowan

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 08:08 am
@FreeDuck,
Great. Never heard of some of them!

Bohemian Rhapsody is a great thing to sing, isn't it?

Wahran - Cheb Khaled....just found this on Youtube.

Technology is great, no?

You can find music you never heard of really easily, and hear it!!!
raprap

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 08:12 am
!)Funeral for queen mary http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWRcx9LHBJU&feature=related
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 08:15 am
@dlowan,
OK, Bunny-

In general I prefer the music from the romantic period. They're the kinds of works that evoke emotional responses,which, as I have mentioned, I like. Mozart, although he was part of the classical period, was no slouch though.

I do not care much for the Baroque, as I find that I cannot "connect" to much of it, although there are a few selected pieces that I like. Fuggedabout the 20th century. As far as I am concern, in most cases, after Stravinsky wrote the Firebird, and the Rite of Spring, it was all downhill.

What is interesting though, is that there is some modern music that, IMO, does not stand on its own, but seem to work as an accompaniment to another medium, film for example. What comes to mind is Philip Glass' music to the movie Koyanassquatsi. By itself, I don't think that the music is very interesting. Adding the film, it makes a potent statement.
[/color]
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 08:16 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Ug. That one is terrible. See if you can find just the audio of the track from the cd.
FreeDuck

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 08:22 am
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

dlowan wrote:

Ug. That one is terrible. See if you can find just the audio of the track from the cd.

Here. http://new.music.yahoo.com/cheb-khaled/tracks/wahrane-wahrane--1290677
aidan

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 08:25 am
@FreeDuck,
another one that I first heard when I was about fifteen - struck a chord then and strikes a chord now - will always strike a chord.

I like her voice, I like the words, I like the subject matter-it describes how I feel about my home.

ehBeth

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 08:29 am
@dlowan,
One is easier than five for me.

Camino (album/c.d./whatever) by Oliver Schroer

http://www.oliverschroer.com/camino.htm

Why? the music itself. The story of the journey. The memory of the concert at Trinity-St. Paul. Trying to imagine what he'd be writing/playing now if he hadn't died so young. Simply the music.

~~~

To fill out the other four spots.

http://www.africanguitarsummit.com/home.shtml
Why? the music, the musicians - the stories of how they came to Canada - how they make me laugh/dance/sing/appreciate the sheer musicianship. The rhythms/tonal combos that were outside of my Eurocentric experience growing up. Appreciating that white men aren't necessarily the be-all, end-all musically. They're damn good individually and collectively.

http://www.amazon.com/Vivaldi-Concertos-Strings-Bylsma-Tafelmusik/dp/B0000027TS
Why? the combination of the orchestra and the soloist. I like, don't love, Vivaldi. However, Anner Bylsma takes just about everything he touches over the top for me. Tafelmusik, with Jeanne Lamon at the lead, was at its youthful peak then. There is a group of new musicians livening things up again now - but the early 1990's were an exciting time to go to their concerts.

http://www.amazon.com/Facing-Future-Israel-IZ-Kamakawiwoole/dp/B00000JFG3/ref=ntt_mus_ep_dpi_lnk
Why? sheer beauty and simplicity of his voice. Simplicity of the arrangements on most of this.

Roly Poly by Asleep at the Wheel, featuring the Dixie Chicks. From the Ride with Bob disc.
http://www.amazon.com/Ride-Bob-Asleep-at-Wheel/dp/B00000JWOJ
Two of my favourite contemporary groups, playing music originally made popular by one of the best Texas Swing bands. Joy and musicality. Pretty unbeatable combo.

I don't need sturm and drang.
dlowan

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 08:40 am
@FreeDuck,
Oh my yes!!! MUCH better.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 08:44 am
@ehBeth,
Thank you!!! Very interesting!!
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 08:55 am
1. Richard Wagner -- Lohengrin. Wagner at his most assertive and sublime (I'd put the Ring cycle here, but I can't justify calling it a single piece of music). Here's Arturo Toscanini conducting the Prelude to Act III, which, in the opera, leads into the much more famous "Wedding March."

2. Umberto Giordano -- Andrea Chenier. Everyone knows the soprano aria "La mamma morta" from watching Tom Hanks in Philadelphia, but this opera contains even better tenor arias, and no one sang the title better than Luciano Pavarotti:

3. Felix Mendelssohn -- Octet for Strings in E-Flat Major, op. 20. The first piece of chamber music that I actually liked, possibly because it is so symphonic in its structure. Here's the stirring fourth movement:

4. Albert von Tilzer -- "Take Me Out to the Ballgame." This should be the national anthem. Here's the original version:

5. Bessie Smith -- "Gimme a Pigfoot and a Bottle of Beer." Others may have sung the blues. Bessie Smith felt the blues. My second choice for a replacement to the national anthem.

panzade

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 09:05 am
@aidan,
Karla is touring again...she hit NY city and is still THE voice of the singer songwriter-seventies
panzade

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 09:08 am
@dyslexia,
great post
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 09:19 am
@panzade,
Quote:
Karla is touring again...she hit NY city and is still THE voice of the singer songwriter-seventies

I would LOVE to see her - I never have, although I've loved her for over thirty years. I think she was an an underrated singer/songwriter- sort of got lost in Linda Ronstadt's shadow voice wise, I think. A shame because her voice is so pure - although much less showy than Linda's (who I also like- just not as much).

Listen to this line-up for Glastonbury (to which I DO have entry)
Bruce Springsteen
Neil Young
Crosby, Stills and Nash (I wonder if Neil will join them on their stage or not)
BB King

Talk about my dream concert...
panzade

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 09:37 am
@aidan,
Quote:
think she was an an underrated singer/songwriter- sort of got lost in Linda Ronstadt's shadow voice wise, I think. A shame because her voice is so pure - although much less showy than Linda's (who I also like- just not as much).

agreed...
0 Replies