Star Trek 2009

rosborne979

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 07:54 am
I almost saw Star Trek 2009 a second time, but decided to see Angels and Demons instead. Big mistake, I wish I has seen ST09 again. Smile
rosborne979

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 07:56 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
I'm not uninterested in what you're talking about, rosborne, but I would stil prefer that this thread be devoted to the Trek movie.

Ok, sorry. I guess I'll add any broader sci-fi/movie topics to my Terminator thread.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 09:50 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
I'm not uninterested in what you're talking about, rosborne,
but I would stil prefer that this thread be devoted to the Trek movie.

Ok, sorry. I guess I'll add any broader sci-fi/movie topics to my Terminator thread.

Y not start a new thread,
thereby giving notice of its contents ?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 09:54 am
@rosborne979,
Better start reading the critics, they can save you time and dollars -- "At the Movies" as I remembered, said "rent it" on "Angels and Demons", in other words don't waste your money at the multiplex.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 09:54 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

May go see this one in the theater... (I almost never do, usually wait for DVD).
We need to support the theaters,
or thay will cease to exist and not be around for us when we want them.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 09:57 am
@Lightwizard,
Lightwizard wrote:

Better start reading the critics, they can save you time and dollars --
"At the Movies" as I remembered, said "rent it" on "Angels and Demons",
in other words don't waste your money at the multiplex.

If we cheap out,
the theaters will become extinct.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 10:24 am
i haven't set foot in a theater in 10 years, the last movie i saw on the big screen was the travesty that starred wil smith, wild wild west

i prefer to buy the movies i know i want to see on dvd, and rent ones i'm not sure of

i'll sacrifice not seeing it on the big screen for not having to put up with other movie goers
Lightwizard

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 10:30 am
@djjd62,
"The Wild Wild West" would have been enough to turn anyone off to going out to the movies. It was panned when it was released and the box office was weak and it is still on cable with a one star rating. You can now purchase a box from NetFlix that streams movies directly to your TV through internet cable (if you have satellite, you're out of luck) and it's at the same month charge as their mailed out discs.

The profit the studios make from theatrical releases is now at around 60% other media. In Orange County, the multiplex chains have been really careful with their demographics, except Regal who bought Edwards Cinemas. They've already closed some where the leases were gone and they've actually been torn down to enlarge a mini-mall.

0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 12:45 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:
i haven't set foot in a theater in 10 years, the last movie i saw on the big screen was the travesty that starred wil smith, wild wild west

i prefer to buy the movies i know i want to see on dvd, and rent ones i'm not sure of

i'll sacrifice not seeing it on the big screen for not having to put up with other movie goers

I actually still enjoy the theater, although I tend to avoid any times when they are packed with teens or kids.

Every now and then an audience can actually add something to the movie by their reactions.

During Star Trek, I was a bit amazed at some of the hard-core trekkies and their enthusiasm during the show.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 01:50 pm
ok...i'm sold...going Thurs night...the local Rave theater has comfy plushy seats...and a great stadium type view

thanks for the reviews
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 03:23 pm
I'm going either tomorrow or Thursday. Definitely seeing it in IMAX.
panzade

Reply Tue 19 May, 2009 03:41 pm
@DrewDad,
hour and a half drive to the IMAX theater.. Sad
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 07:59 pm
@DrewDad,
Imax will help. I saw it Monday. In my opinion, the plot isn't much to write home about, and the characters are more or less what you expect, given who they are. But they have managed to hang some kick-ass space battles with lots of special effects on to it. Imax will no doubt boost their effect.

Overall, I'd give the movie a 7 out of 10 -- good, but not outstanding.
caribou

Reply Wed 20 May, 2009 09:23 pm
I loved it!
I wasn't really expecting anything. The man wanted to go see a movie and it was a choice between Wolverine or Star Trek.
I'm so glad it was Statr Trek.
This movie reminded me of how much I loved Star Trek.
I love the new old characters.
5 stars from me!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 21 May, 2009 07:12 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
In my opinion, the plot isn't much to write home about, and the characters are more or less what you expect,

IMAX was excellent. Huge, crystal-clear visuals. Great sound.

The plot was OK. They should have spent more time on double-talk. Who's afraid of a black hole when you can travel faster than light?

I think Zachary Quinto (Spock) is definitely the stand-out. Chris Pine (Kirk) also did an excellent job. (He reminds me more of Pike from the Original Series than he does of Kirk, though.) I thought everyone else was solid, except the guy who played McCoy. He was just cartoonish with his attempt to copy DeForest Kelly's mannerisms.

sozobe

Reply Thu 21 May, 2009 07:35 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Well, I'm deaf though. So captions are an issue.

They DO have open-captioned and closed-captioned (rear-view) captioned showings of movies around here though. Have looked for Star Trek, haven't found a captioned showing yet.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 21 May, 2009 07:35 am
@DrewDad,
I agree that Zach makes a very good younger Spock, but I also enjoyed Karl Urban as McCoy.

In one of the final scenes of the movie, Chris Pine is standing on the bridge and makes some type of comment before heading for the command chair. Right at that moment I though he did a fantastic job of imitating Shatner as Kirk, he duplicated his commentary as well as his vocal sound and movement manerisms. I'm sure he worked hard on studying Shatner's 1960's scenes to duplicate that scene. Very nice.

sozobe

Reply Thu 21 May, 2009 07:38 am
@sozobe,
Awesome... just looked again, and it's going to be playing starting Friday! (New listing.) Hmmm...
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 21 May, 2009 01:03 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

I agree that Zach makes a very good younger Spock, but I also enjoyed Karl Urban as McCoy.

In one of the final scenes of the movie, Chris Pine is standing on the bridge and makes some type of comment before heading for the command chair. Right at that moment I though he did a fantastic job of imitating Shatner as Kirk, he duplicated his commentary as well as his vocal sound and movement manerisms. I'm sure he worked hard on studying Shatner's 1960's scenes to duplicate that scene. Very nice.

It might have been a good idea
to have Shatner make a cameo appearance.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 21 May, 2009 01:05 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

I almost saw Star Trek 2009 a second time, but decided to see Angels and Demons instead.
Big mistake, I wish I has seen ST09 again. Smile

What was rong with Angels and Demons ?