Secret U.S.-Israel nuclear accord in jeopardy

au1929

Reply Wed 6 May, 2009 02:33 pm
EXCLUSIVE: Secret U.S.-Israel nuclear accord in jeopardy
By Eli Lake (Contact) | Wednesday, May 6, 2009

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/may/06/us-weighs-forcing-israel-to-disclose-nukes/

If Obama is that niave he should be put back in his playpen. The Isreali's are adverse to national suicide
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 822 • Replies: 11
No top replies

contrex

Reply Wed 6 May, 2009 03:42 pm
@au1929,
I would respect your views more if you knew how to spell "Israelis" and knew what an apostophe is used for.

I think Obama is doing the right thing.
roger

Reply Wed 6 May, 2009 04:20 pm
@au1929,
A virtue of not signing a treaty is not being subject to it's provisions. That is why Iran, a signatory, is in violation; India is not, since she never signed it.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 6 May, 2009 04:38 pm
Well, there goes the Israeili hospitals, libraries, and streets named in Obama's honor. Maybe in meeting the Israeli Prime Minister, Obama should use the first name he had in an earlier time, Barry?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 03:07 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:
I would respect your views more if you knew how to spell "Israelis" and knew what an apostophe is used for.

I think Obama is doing the right thing.

I doubt Obama is trying to do what the article says. But regardless, we have no right to force Israel to join a treaty against their will.
contrex

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 03:27 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
we have no right to force Israel to join a treaty

Israel has no right to murder Palestinians and steal their land either, but they still do it. It's time they were reined in, and I hope Obama has the balls to do it.
oralloy

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 03:43 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:
oralloy wrote:
we have no right to force Israel to join a treaty

Israel has no right to murder Palestinians and steal their land either, but they still do it.

Self defense is not murder.

And setting aside for a moment the fact that the only reason the Palestinians don't have their own state right now is the fact that they would prefer to try to run around killing Israeli children, it isn't stealing when Israel reclaims their own homeland.

contrex wrote:
It's time they were reined in, and I hope Obama has the balls to do it.

Whether Obama has the balls to do it is beside the point. He does not want to do it, and he does not have the ability to do it even if he did want to do it.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 03:54 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
But regardless, we have no right to force Israel to join a treaty against their will.

Unfortunately, you also have no right to prevent e.g. Iran from leaving the NPT. Iran can give its ninety days' notice, leave the treaty and legally institute a secret nuclear WMD program like the one Israel currently has.
oralloy

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 04:22 pm
@old europe,
old europe wrote:

oralloy wrote:
But regardless, we have no right to force Israel to join a treaty against their will.

Unfortunately, you also have no right to prevent e.g. Iran from leaving the NPT. Iran can give its ninety days' notice, leave the treaty and legally institute a secret nuclear WMD program like the one Israel currently has.

Maybe if Iran only started their WMD program after withdrawing.

They cannot however legitimize their already illegal WMD program by withdrawing now.

I wouldn't worry about it much though. Israel will bomb them soon enough, and that will be the end of Iran's illegal nuclear program.
old europe

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 04:51 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

As far as I know, they claim that they don't have a WMD program. Just like Israel.

oralloy wrote:
They cannot however legitimize their already illegal WMD program by withdrawing now.

They claim that they only have civilian nuclear fuel-making technology, which is legal under the NPT.

Leaving the NPT and then openly starting a WMD program would also be legal.

oralloy wrote:
I wouldn't worry about it much though. Israel will bomb them soon enough, and that will be the end of Iran's illegal nuclear program.

Depends. This is not 1981, and Iran is not in the middle of a war. Arguably, Iran is in a more powerful position in the Middle East than Iraq was during Operation Opera, and an Israeli attack without the implicit approval of particularly the United States could have repercussions that Israel might not want to face.
oralloy

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 05:00 pm
@old europe,
old europe wrote:

oralloy wrote:

As far as I know, they claim that they don't have a WMD program. Just like Israel.

oralloy wrote:

They claim that they only have civilian nuclear fuel-making technology, which is legal under the NPT.

Their claims do not change the fact that they are quite clearly running a weapons program.

old europe wrote:
Leaving the NPT and then openly starting a WMD program would also be legal.

Not when they are already illegally running a WMD program.

old europe wrote:
oralloy wrote:

Depends. This is not 1981, and Iran is not in the middle of a war. Arguably, Iran is in a more powerful position in the Middle East than Iraq was during Operation Opera, and an Israeli attack without the implicit approval of particularly the United States could have repercussions that Israel might not want to face.

I don't anticipate any negative consequences when Israel bombs Iran.
old europe

Reply Thu 7 May, 2009 05:24 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Their claims do not change the fact that they are quite clearly running a weapons program.

Well, it's your claims against their claims. They deny it, you can't prove it.

oralloy wrote:
Not when they are already illegally running a WMD program.

There are several stages that civilian nuclear technology programs and WMD programs have in common. The NPT would allow them to do anything that would fall into the realm of a civilian program.

oralloy wrote:
I don't anticipate any negative consequences when Israel bombs Iran.

Of course you don't. Otherwise you wouldn't be looking forward to it.
0 Replies