Lost Baggage Contents After TSA Inspection

Pitter

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 07:32 am
I wonder if anyone else has had problems with TSA when departing a US airport. I recently unpacked my bag after arriving at my desination only to find that TSA had left out a $45 book after repacking my bag following inspection. At the St. Louis airport at least the inspection area is screened off so you can´t even watch to make sure everything is repacked. On two other occaisions I´ve found the TSA approved locks missing when I arrived. At $6 a piece it´s a considerable irritant.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 5,285 • Replies: 8
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 08:19 am
The port authority here just busted a big theft ring among the baggage handlers so there has been a lot of press about keeping your bag safe.

If it was in checked baggage it was more likely the baggage handlers than the TSA:

Quote:
And don't blame TSA screeners, the agency insists, sounding a tad defensive.

"Remember," an agency spokesman told Newsweek last year, "TSA has possession of the bag only long enough to screen it for explosives ... We estimate that for every TSA employee that touches a bag, six to 10 airline or airport employees and contractors touch the same bag out of the view of passengers."

The articles recommend notifying both the airport you left from and the one you arrived at. They've been returning a lot of stolen property to people here.

0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 08:22 am
@Pitter,
What happens if you don't use TSA-approved locks? Do they just cut 'em off if they have to get into the bag?

"TSA-approved" just means they have a master key. Can't imagine how many of those master keys have gone missing over the years....
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 10:47 am
I think it's stated on the sign in your local airport that they WILL cut your lock if it's determined that they've got to get into your bag. Seems like I read that while standing in line.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 11:03 am
He's losing locks, anyway. Might as well know that someone's been into the bag....

You know, I wouldn't have much of a problem with the TSA if they actually made flying safer. But they're just a big smokescreen for the fact that nothing has fundamentally changed. Meanwhile, they've made it simple for thieves to get access to your bags.

If they can't control what the bag handlers are taking out of bags, how can they control what bag handlers are putting into bags?
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Thu 30 Apr, 2009 03:08 pm
Well despite the reports of theft by baggage handlers I still suspect my problem was that the TSA inspector simply didn´t return my book to the suitcase after the inspection. I doubt it was a robbery. Most likely he just overlooked it when replacing the contents of the bag. It would have been the first artical removed since it was on top of everything else. I checked two bags and it was the bag with the missing book that contained the TSA inspection notice.
oggenfuss

Reply Wed 3 Jun, 2009 10:31 am
Just returned from Europe, with a TSA inspection notice in my bag (JFK), and my favored blouse missing...Is there any recourse for this?
MimiO
0 Replies

ATLtraveler

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 10:55 am
@Pitter,
I had a notice in my luggage that TSA inspected it....my makeup bag was missing and no one seems to know where it went. I believe that the TSA inspector didn't place my makeup bag back into my luggage. No one has accepted responsibility so I'm on my own to purchase all new items and bag. Sad
Pitter

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2012 04:06 pm
@ATLtraveler,
It seems like there is no oversight and no way to hold TSA resposible when they either out right steal or just neglect to repack items. My latest stratagy to try to fore-stall that behavior is to write out a list of contents, date it and place it on top of everything. Of course I bring a copy in my carry on. Hopefully it makes them put everything back.
0 Replies