Analytical thinking

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 04:04 pm
I am an analytical person so analytical thinking is the only way I know to process information. People are always saying I am to analytical though, I don't understand that! I do not see anything wrong with thinking about any and all possibilities. Can someone please tell to me if analytical thinking is bad and if so , how? Of course if there isn't lots of detail in the answer, I will sit around still analyze analytical thinking.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 3,234 • Replies: 8
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 04:27 pm
@lolo2curious,
It's the way you're wired - why fight it? Nothing wrong with it whatsoever.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 07:35 pm
@lolo2curious,
lolo2curious wrote:
Can someone please tell to me if analytical thinking is bad and if so , how?

Welcome to a2k.

I can think of two common ways it can be construed as "bad".

1) Sometimes time is a factor, and those who need to analyze for longer than is available aren't as effective as others who can arrive at the same decision through a more speedy process (even if it's "gut" or "instinct").

2) Sometimes surprise and spontaneity is desirable, those who over analyze might not be as enjoyable for company for those who are more impulsive.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 01:35 am
I'm reminded of an old joke: two psychoanalysts run into each other on the street. One says, "Hello!" The other waves but walks away wondering, "What did he mean by that?"
0 Replies

RealEyes

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 04:18 am
@lolo2curious,
I've heard the line "you think too much."

It is basically to say that you are spending too much time in awe of insignificant and seemingly pointless detail and correctness. It's the kind way of saying your attention is drawn geekishly close upon specific details while you may miss the big picture or the intended overall message of something.

It is nothing bad, but it is an isolating behaviour if you flaunt it in front of inept companions time too oft.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 04:44 am
@lolo2curious,
The more experience you get you learn to "Short cut" the analytical process and your thinking, although considering the same issues, will speed up. Now, if you were to analyze the same problem the same way over and over, then you may have a problem in "over analysis".

0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 05:40 am
Read "Personality Plus" by Linnenauer (sp?)

It will explain your temperment and those of your loved ones and why they conflict or work well with each other.

Your kind of temperment is a problem only if it is EXAGGERATED in your daily life. Try to mix it with or temper it with more sponteneity or even letting other people decide certain issues for you.

You don't have to over-analyze EVERYTHING in your life ! (But we sure need some clear thinkers today!)
solipsister

Reply Tue 28 Apr, 2009 02:15 am
@sullyfish6,
over analysing this
0 Replies

vanessaknip

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 10:53 am
@lolo2curious,
Analytical thinking is usually, if not almost all of the time, a good thing to have. As long as you keep things into perspective and not drown yourself in a tiny problem, it really shouldn't matter. Possibilites are endless- you'll never be able to think of them all so I wouldn't go too far if I were you.
0 Replies