The DEAD are back on tour

kuvasz

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 02:25 pm
http://www.dead.net/dead09

http://jimbaker.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/gratefuldeadls1.jpg
got my chicago tickets.

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 03:50 pm
I saw the Dead jamming in a park, in NYC, one day, in '68. Thomkins, I think it was.
Several years ago, I told my work partner that I had seen black Christmas Tree ornaments on sale, done as a tribute to The Grateful Dead. He looked shocked. "'The Grateful Dead,'" he repeated several times. I could see that it really messed his mind. (He was about seven years older than me).
aidan

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 04:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
Last year I went to see New Riders of the Purple Sage in this tiny little town, Delhi New York- about three hours north of the city and about ten miles from where Yoko Ono has a farm.

Anyway - I was really tired and really thought about not going - but I had tickets and I wanted to hear Lonesome L.A. Cowboy and One Too Many Stories and Panama Red - so I went and they're like an offshoot of the Grateful Dead who I skipped school to see in Englishtown NJ in the late seventies. But back then, I never got transported by the jams, but I think I was so tired this time that I sat there and closed my eyes and got TRANSPORTED! It was awesome!
I think I'd pay some money to see the Dead and get transported again.
They've had an interesting relationship:
Quote:
[Origins: Early '60s " 1969
The roots of the New Riders can be traced back to the early 60s folk/bohemian/beatnik scene in San Francisco, where future Grateful Dead guitarist Jerry Garcia, then considered to be one of the finest banjo players of the folk revival, often played gigs with like-minded guitarist David Nelson. The young John Dawson, also known as "Marmaduke", from a well-to-do family centered in Millbrook, New York, also played some concerts with Garcia, Nelson, and their compatriots while visiting relatives on summer vacation. Enamored with the sounds of Bakersfield-style country music, Dawson would turn his older friends on to the work of Merle Haggard and Buck Owens while providing a vital link between the East Coast, Timothy Leary-dominated psychedelic scene and the West.

Dawson went on to college, Nelson moved on to Los Angeles with future Grateful Dead/New Riders lyricist Robert Hunter and tape archivist Willy Legate, and Garcia formed the Grateful Dead, then known as the Warlocks, with an acquaintance, blues singer Ron "Pigpen" McKernan.

By the time Nelson returned to the Bay Area in 1966, the Merry Pranksters-led Acid Tests were in full swing, with the Dead serving as house band. Though the group briefly considered replacing Bob Weir with the more experienced Nelson, this never materialized. Throughout 1967 and 1968, Nelson worked as a journeyman musician in the San Francisco area, playing anything from electric psychedelic rock (he was briefly lead guitarist of Big Brother and the Holding Company after Janis Joplin and Sam Andrew departed) to contemporary bluegrass with groups such as the Mescaline Rompers.

After attending a junior college in the Los Angeles area, Dawson returned to the Bay Area, where he decided to find his fortunes as a solo folksinger. Attending some of the Acid Tests and visiting the Dead at their commune in 1967, Dawson decided that it was his life's mission to combine the psychedelia of the San Francisco rock scene with his beloved electric country music. An early 1969 mescaline experience confirmed this, and the erstwhile perpetual student-cum-folkie began to compose songs on a regular basis. Some, such as "Glendale Train", were traditional country pastiches, while a number of others ("Last Lonely Eagle" and "Dirty Business") found him working in the milieu of a countrified Dead. Others, including the shuffle "Henry", were a combination of the two " traditional music combined with then-contemporary lyrics (the exploits of a marijuana smuggler, drug-related themes being a common motif in the New Riders' repertoire).

Dawson's vision was timely, as 1969 marked the emergence of country rock via the Dillard & Clark Band, the Clarence White-era Byrds, The Band, Gram Parsons' Flying Burrito Brothers, and Bob Dylan. Around this time, Garcia was similarly inspired to take up the pedal steel guitar, and Dawson and Garcia began playing coffeehouse concerts together while the Grateful Dead was off the road. The Dawson and Garcia repertoire included Bakersfield country standards, traditional bluegrass, Dawson originals, a few Dylan covers ("Lay Lady Lay", "You Ain't Goin' Nowhere", "Mighty Quinn"), and Joni Mitchell's song "Big Yellow Taxi". By the summer of 1969 it was decided that a full band would be formed to satisfy Garcia's desires in this creative outlet. David Nelson was immediately recruited from Big Brother to play electric lead guitar.

In addition to Nelson, Dawson (on acoustic guitar), and Garcia (continuing to play pedal steel), the original line-up of the band that came to be known as the New Riders of the Purple Sage (a nod to the Zane Grey classic and an obscure western swing combo from the 40s) consisted of Robert Hunter on electric bass and Grateful Dead drummer Mickey Hart. Hunter was soon replaced by Dead soundman and old crony Bob Matthews, who in turn did not last very long. Finally, Phil Lesh of the Grateful Dead was named bassist. Not only was this line-up economical " for only two extra plane tickets, the cash-strapped Dead had an opening act " but Dawson's songs, combined with Garcia's self-taught pedal steel style and the eccentric rhythm section of Lesh and Hart (neither had much experience in country or folk music) gave the New Riders a singularly unique sound that stood out from the pack of emerging country-rock bands.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 05:36 pm
NEW RIDERS OF THE PURPLE SAGE
featuring David Nelson and Buddy Cage with Michael Falzarano, Ronnie Penque and Johnny Markowski will be playing here in Albuquerque on the 22 of this month, (April)
Rockhead

Reply Thu 9 Apr, 2009 06:14 pm
@dyslexia,
just heard today that Arlo is coming here this month.

(I got a deadhead sticker still)
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 06:57 am
The DEAD are on tour? But isn't Jerry Garcia -- how do I put this delicately -- well, dead?
High Seas

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 11:18 am
@Thomas,
Never mind him, Thomas, YOU will be dead within 5 milliseconds of seeing me again UNLESS you can give me a convincing explanation of WHY my Tante's literary effort was NOT sent to Walter the same day as you promised!
<fuming while going to load gun prior to arranging to meet Thomas in Manhattan >

Kuvacz - I was so glad to see you posting again that I searched images for your favorite combination in this world; found it in The New Yorker:

http://mtblog.newyorker.com/online/blogs/cartoonlounge/img990.jpg
High Seas

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 09:41 am
@High Seas,
ummmmm... Thomas? That was a joke, it's safe to come back to my health club swimming pool Smile
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 04:45 pm
@High Seas,
HS..

YOU MADE MY DAY!

btw did you know that you can either download or stream all 2000 Dead shows?

here

http://www.archive.org/details/GratefulDead
High Seas

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 07:16 am
@kuvasz,
kuvasz wrote:

HS..

YOU MADE MY DAY!

Your darling doggies' pictures and stories have brightened up many people's days, too. Tks for concerts link, and keep well.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 01:54 pm
@High Seas,
GREAT CARTOON!

I gave a copy of the cartoon to my wife, who has it proudly displayed on her office wall.

Unlike her, I've been a Deadhead since I saw Jerry and the boys in August of '74 at the Philadelphia Spectrum. I took her to the July 4th show in Roxybury Michigan to see them for the first time and it blew her away. Just like everyone else who I have taken to Dead show for the first time, she had this lip cracking smile on her face and a hop in her step as we left the show.
High Seas

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2010 07:38 pm
@kuvasz,
You may want to talk Mrs Kuvasz into visiting New York between now and July 4th - yesterday the New York Historical Society, the city's oldest museum and a bastion of respectability, opened to great acclaim its latest exhibition (as reported in the Wall Street Journal):
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703862704575099452154332486.html
Quote:
FRI 05 | 'Grateful Dead Archive'

Calling all Deadheads! The New York Historical Society is putting on what it calls the first large-scale exhibition drawn largely from the Grateful Dead Archive. It will look at the 30-year history of the band through instruments, audio and video recordings, original album art and artifacts like the Dead's early record contracts and backstage guest lists. The show also looks at the political and social upheaval of the 1960s and '70s, which had a huge impact on the band. Runs through July 4.
0 Replies