Escalating violence in Mexico's drug war

dlowan

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 04:51 pm
@fbaezer,
But...isn't it the more dangerous drugs that the guns and gangs and money laundering is about?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 04:57 pm
@dlowan,
I'll be interested in statistics on that at some point. I figure a lot of people who already know Mexico wouldn't suddenly not got there, although some would choose another destination. And some newbies might well be scared away. On the other hand, a lot of US vacationers may want to travel closer to home for a while, due to the economy.

On the business about the police stopping cars for trumped up charges about driving violations, that happened on my visit to Mexico City in '69? 71? My friend, a dental student, pulled out the equivalent of ten dollars (if I remember right) tucking it in with his licence to show the cop. Nothing new.
dlowan

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 05:02 pm
@ossobuco,
Yeah...I remember Robert talking about that....the corrupt cops and the fake traffic stops.

Why don't they just run a protection racket like decent cops!

I wonder how well Mexican cops are paid?
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 05:15 pm
There must be some effect on tourism, but usually those who want to come, come and those who don't wanna come, don't.

Cops asking for a bribe, instead of a fine, when you break some traffic law (and Robert did make a forbidden turn) have been, regrettably, a norm all my life.

The average traffic cop makes about US $600 a month, so s/he makes ends meet through bribes.

As for our subject, the average judiciary cop (who faces criminals) makes about $1500 a month. A medium rank officer makes probably double that amount. My bro was a judiciary pilot in the 90s and made teh equivalent of about triple that amount, back then.
dlowan

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 05:21 pm
@fbaezer,
Yeah....I'd be hopeless in a situation where cops needed bribes...I'm not used to it, so I'd sit there dumbly waiting for a ticket!

Mind you...I suspect our drug and vice squads are as corrupt as they ever were.

Prohibition and low pay were ever mighty corrupters.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 05:22 pm
@ossobuco,
To clarify, I meant that Mexico is closer to home for people in the US than are Europe or Asia.
0 Replies