Lorna

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 02:22 pm
Vegetarian haggis? That's something of an oxymoron... Smile

As for Thanksgiving, I used to like canned cranberry sauce. The slicable jelly kind..

Lorna
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 02:24 pm
cheese? i've never thought of cheese in stuffing. must mull. how would that be with gravy - maybe a bit too poutine-like?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 03:52 pm
Not cottage or cheddar... parmesan. Think chicken cordon bleu... and it is great with gravy. Trust me!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 10:53 pm
Depends on whether Thanksgiving was at our house or not. Our gravy is not thickened with flour...is more like 'jus' with sherry or brandy or whatever....but my cousins would bring a turkey and gravy too, so there was plenty of either type gravy.

Pfk's dressing is similar to mine...good hearth bread, usually italian sourdough, some mild italian sausage (ok, sometimes I have thrown in one hot one, kind of a mistake), sometimes some garlic, sorry folks, some fennel, some sage, some pine nuts, and whatever else is lying around.. and yes, onions and celery sauteed for starters. The odd blond raisin, not many. Broth. A tad of melted butter.

There you go.

I have been known to make different batches fooling with ingredients and bake outside of the turkey.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 10:57 pm
Oh, yep, I am sure I have added parmigiano if I have it. M'cousins never know what the hell they're getting, but my dressing goes first...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 23 Nov, 2002 11:17 pm
Sounds so tasty! Try a bit of diced apple... I like that!

I just saw that Vincent posted on my thread with the same question on abuzz. I've got to go carefully read what he has to say. He's my hero.
0 Replies

Mustang

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 04:04 pm
You ambitious people put me to shame. I'll probably have my favorite 7 course meal--a steak and a 6-pack of Budweiser. Laughing
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 05:55 pm
LOL Mustang!

Turkey stuffing is such a personal thing on Thanksgiving. It has to taste just like my mom's. Any other time experimentation is allowed, but not on Thanksgiving. (Why is that?)

Every year I make the same meal. The only variation allowed is in the green vegetable. I always roast the turkey with the stuffing inside. I don't care what the food police say. That's the way Mom did it.

The stuffing is a traditional bread stuffing with lots of sage. I served both white and sweet mashed potatoes. Home baked bread was always included, but now my son brings artisan bread from his local co-op bakery. Dessert is pumpkin pie with bourbon whipped cream.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 06:16 pm
Swimpy, that sounds DEE-VINE! (All, but esp. the bourbon whipped cream... please send recipe!!).

What is this about stupid food police??? Not a chance my dressing won't be cooked inside the bird... in fact that's why I'm having two birds!!! What. What?????? I've been doing this for years and haven't died... Guess I know how to do it correctly. <HURUMPH>

My oh my, to protect us from ourselves. ugh
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 24 Nov, 2002 06:24 pm
No real recipe for bourbon whip cream. Just whip the cream as you usually do and use bourbon as the flavoring instead of vanilla. I use a capful per half-pint of whipping cream.

Also, the wine. I like a pinot noir, preferably from Sonoma. I like David Bruce.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 04:08 pm
I've passed the bourbon whip cream idea on to Vincent... it sounds like a winner, especially as we will, no doubt, have all the ingredients close at hand!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 05:39 pm
Excellent news from RealAge.com's daily update:

A Craving for Cranberry
When you're planning your Thanksgiving menu, don't forget the cranberry sauce. This turkey topper is full of heart-healthy nutrition.
Cranberries are rich in several different types of flavonoids, including anthocyanins, flavonols, and proanthocyanins. The antioxidant-like properties of these flavonoids may keep strokes and heart attacks away by helping to prevent fatty plaques from clogging your arteries.

RealAge Benefit: Eating a diverse diet that includes 4 servings of fruit per day can make your RealAge as much as 4 years younger
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 06:47 pm
I think you'll love it, pifka. Bourbon is the perfect complement to pumpkin pie.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 26 Nov, 2002 06:51 pm
I had an immediate affinity for the idea! Thanks!!!!
0 Replies