The origin of our A2K names...

the prince

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 03:18 am
Grand Duke wrote:
Glad to meet someone else who remembers their nursery rhymes, pieman!

Oh I remember them as well.... !!

Jack and Jill,
Went up the hill,
to fetch a pail of water,
Goodness knows,
what they did,
they came with a baby daughter !!

Hang on, that is not right is it ? Embarrassed
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 04:03 am
"satt_focusable" is a (private) dialect of a property name of a programming language.
I am satisfied with it ("satt" means 'satisfied' in German).
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 06:46 am
Satt - is that a vaguely similar property as GotFocus & LostFocus in MSVB? Just wonderin'...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 08:16 am
For those who are unaware, Jack and Jill is a protest song. Charles I was trying to finance a war against the Scots, so he put a tax on every jack (2 ounce measure) and gill (pronounced as "jill," a measure of 4 ounces) of honey, mead and "source water" sold in England. The English have have a thing about what we would call bottled water for centuries. Saying that Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water, and and that Jack "broke his crown" is a veiled threat. The second verse had Jack wrapping up his injured head in brown paper--in the the early 17th century in England, taxes were wrapped in brown paper before being remitted to the appopriate royal officer.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 08:20 am
Good to have ya back, Set. Hmm, I have no idea what sort of monger I might be, nor why I chose the name.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 08:24 am
Be a costermonger, Boss, not something to be ashamed up, if a little plebian . . .
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 08:41 am
Costermonger it is, then. Hmm, for a little while I was a member of a certain forum where the favored slur against moi from the jesus-loves-you zealots was whoremonger. I have no idea why they thought I was in fact some sort of Biblical pimp, but I certainly got a huge kick out of it
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 09:51 am
In Revelations, there is a passage describing the heavenly city, which states the without the city (i.e., on the outside and excluded) are the whores, the whoremongers and the dogs . . . the dogs ? ! ? ! ? After that, i decided heaven was not for me, if they are gonna exlude the dogs.

Meet out back of the New Jerusalem, Boss, and we'll cavort with the whores and the dogs . . .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 10:28 am
oh really?
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Mon 20 Oct, 2003 07:17 pm
Grand Duke wrote:
Satt - is that a vaguely similar property as GotFocus & LostFocus in MSVB? Just wonderin'...

Currently, I do not use MSVB, but Java, where we have similar property names.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 03:10 pm
nimh is the abbreviation of no-itsme, habibi, which was my name on abuzz

(well, it was whenever i felt like adding the "habibi" bit to my original name there. you could change your screenname continually there. i dont think you can do that here, can you?)

ctually first used "nimh" on abuzz, already, there's a funny terrydoo story connected to it, an' all ;-)

whats DnD, btw?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 04:59 pm
Do not Die.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 06:24 pm
Do not Die? Then I still dont get it ... (referring to Tyrius' first post).
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 07:18 pm
Thanks, Setenta, for the jack and jill story. I know that most nursery rhymes have a bite to them that is no longer readily obvious. I can't recall the "official" version of J&J but I do remember a version that certain foul-mouthed 14-year old males (including me) thought quite hilarious, even though we weren't real sure what "it" (the big "it") was all about.
Setenta, if you have the time could you tell me more about J&J and Charles 1. A couple of paragraphs (I'm not a high school kid looking for a paper due tomorrow, BTW).

Back to topic... realjohnboy
0 Replies

Turner 727

Reply Wed 22 Oct, 2003 11:30 pm
Just cuz. . .
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 02:23:42