The origin of our A2K names...

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 07:07 am
This is not the first discussion on the origin of our names Duke but here goes......I was born Bi-Polar
Baer but felt that Baer sounded to ethnic so I changed it to Bear......quite simple really....
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 07:08 am
Hey there Gus, you wanna take this outside?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 07:13 am
I aint messin' with no cowgirl. I'm off to work at the feedmill. Wait 'til I tell the boys about this. Wow!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 07:31 am
That's what I thought ;-)
0 Replies

Grand Duke

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 08:10 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
This is not the first discussion on the origin of our names Duke

Apologies to all.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 08:24 am
Because I decided there is no cooler name than "Slappy Doo Hoo."
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 08:26 am
Come on now Slappy. Slappin' yer doo hoo is what ya do. Fess up. :p
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 08:41 am
Well, of course.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 08:55 am
I was dubbed littlek by a friend's teenaged daughter about 5 years ago. Another nickname had been krissykat, but it was a name usually taken in online forums. I thought of changing it when I got here because there were so few people. But, I like continuity.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 08:57 am
Me too. It was nice to recognize littlek and Quinn.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 08:58 am
Everytime the question comes up, I cut and paste, so here it goes.....

On abuzz and just about everywhere else my name was or is Ceilityme. I shortened it here because I could.
I'm a Canadian of Irish descent.
Ceili is an irish gealic verb which loosly translates as a visit, a dance - party, gathering of people.

I've had the name forever and it has always seemed appropriate for the net. I get to dance around the world, visit whomever I like and join gatherings of very interesting individuals like here on A2K.
Thanks,
Ceili
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 09:45 am
I have managed to go this long without 'splainin', and I'm gonna keep at it. Very Happy (You may guess, though, a sort of etymological Rumpelstiltskin.)
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 09:48 am
Soz, you win a cookie!

The word of the day, children, is "etymological."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 09:56 am
Setanta is the given name of the mythological Irish hero Cu Chulainn (which means "the Hound of Cullen--long story, won't post it here). Setanta means pathfinder, and i once read an absotively high-larious mythological parody by an 8th century Irish monk about Cu Chulainn gettin' drunk with his buddies among the men of Ulster, and then deciding they should all visit Cullen--a drive (in chariots) of about one day. It ends up taking a week, because Cu Chulainn (Setanta the Pathfinder) continually gets lost, sobers up, realizes he is lost, but gets drunk at the home of their latest host, and gets lost again. So it was an ironic personal joke to me to use the name, before i met any of this too sad crew . . .

As for Yorkshiremen, i had always heard that if you told one to dip his headlights, he'd start driving to the Lake District . . .
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 10:00 am
Yay. A cookie!

(Is that Bailey in a HAT?)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 10:12 am
No, that's Miss Cleo wearin' a mortar board on the occasion of her gruadation from the "don't bite the people who just happen to be walkin' down the street" class, usually referred to as obedience class for short . . .
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 10:20 am
Ah! She didn't look as smiley as usual... wasn't sure if it was her or Bailey. (Can't wait to meet the lil guys!)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 10:22 am
Well, she does not have her usual cheerful expression there . . . but then, she was probably struggling to repress her natural inclination to bite whoever was taking the photo, on the general principle that said individual doesn't live at her house, and is therefore fair game . . .
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 10:22 am
I was nicknamed "Taggart" by my workmates because of a supposed resemblance to an irascible Glaswegian (= from Glasgow) TV detective.
This is wrong of course, I'm much nicer than him.
Anyway, it got shortened to Tag and I use McTag for no good reason that I can explain.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 10:27 am
I should correct a false impression i'm probably giving here. Miss Cleo does not bite--she's never been known to bite anyone, although she has nipped me once, and eBeth once or twice--something she immediately regrets. But she will roar out an extended bark to make others think she will bite, largely because most of the world still scares her. She is quite a loving little dog, and is bluffing about her savagery . . . eBeth refers to it as making her "evil weasel face."
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 03:03:50