I sat upon a hill one day in March....

Kara

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 10:08 am
Having said that, and noting that farmerman patched in one of my favorite poems about mudtime, I am enbravened to post Billy Collin's Today.

Today

If ever there were a spring day so perfect,
so uplifted by a warm intermittent breeze

that it made you want to throw
open all the windows in the house

and unlatch the door to the canary's cage,
indeed, rip the little door from its jamb,

a day when the cool brick paths
and the garden bursting with peonies

seemed so etched in sunlight
that you felt like taking

a hammer to the glass paperweight
on the living room end table,

releasing the inhabitants
from their snow-covered cottage

so they could walk out,
holding hands and squinting

into this larger dome of blue and white,
well, today is just that kind of day.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2009 10:10 am
@Kara,
Kara, what a pleasant surprise. I love the poem Ozymandius..."Look on my works ye mighty and dispair..." When I taught that poem, some of my students thought that "trunkless" mean without trunks. I tried writing about summer, but it fell into an abyss as everything is hot and dry here.

Wow! Just saw your poetic response, gal. Love poetry divided into two lines. Thanks!
farmerman

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 07:12 am
@Letty,
I hadda look up this thread because yesterday, in my daily snowshoe trudge, I was walking down by the swamp and saw several hundred folded skunk cabbbages all had melted their way through the melting sno. These guys generate some exothermic reaction to jack up their temperatures and that results in the little black"holes " in the snow.

SO, I began an early spring (LAte winter actually) inventory of whats beginning to show as an indicator of the turning seasons.

1The alder thicket is showing reddish tips on the branches, red is the universl earliest color opf spring. The color red is repeated several times in the art works of Fern Coppedge and Walter Baum and Redfield as they used to paint pleinaire in the woods during late winter.

2The waxwings and bluebirds are back and in full berry picking mode. The serviceberries and crbapple bushes are being stripped of the fruits that noby'd touch in the start of winter. The crabapples dont really taste bad this late. They still have an astringency but are sorta sweet. (Like the old "cider varieties " of apples Im used to in the deep woods of MAine. Those apples arent even edible but make great cider.

3A great herd of snow geese have begun wheeling about themany fields. They are a frenetic species, never in one spot too long. They land in a field, 10000 strong and carry on trying to find some sustenance in the snow, then, on somebodies orders and with honking that sounds more like squeaking brake springs the take off and circle several other filds till landing again.

4. A warm wind was conjoured up some where and graced me with about 20 minutes of gentle springlike breezes. It bore a very slight smell of earth that defines the warm sopring winds. Oh well, it was a teaser that Im sure well have to be punsihed for with another blizqard or two.

I really need spring this year, Im going cabin nutz.
Letty

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 10:43 am
@farmerman,
WOW! Those descriptions were fantastic! I just opened my front door and a much needed warm wind was blowing across the waterway.

Since March 4th is command day. (march forth) we'll demand that spring get you out of that cabin; however, The Ides of March are also approaching and Caesar didn't believe the soothsayer. Don't believe that you have to worry about crossing the rubicon.
farmerman

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 10:47 am
@Letty,
the only Rubicon I worry about is the one owned by my neighbors kid (A jeep rubicon). He drives it like an idiot all over the fields of snow.

Our groundhog, Octoraro Orphie, stated unequivocally , spring was gonna get here in February and Im searching the divine signs for it.

That bastard rat
Letty

Reply Mon 22 Feb, 2010 05:43 pm
@farmerman,
Hee, hee. Love it farmerman.

If we come across a rubicon,
That farmerman has spat upon,

The kid's okay,
Just held at bay,
By a bastard rat
In a shadow's hat.

0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 09:16 am
@farmerman,
Are you out of the cabin yet?
You are, I'm gonna bet.

Sooooo, March forth, fm.

farmerman

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 12:24 pm
@Letty,
Oh yeh. Its a balmy 44 degrees and the wind has a "spring earthy" smell. Now if the 4' of snow would jut melt off my garden we could get things going here.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 01:35 pm
@farmerman,
nice post...i read it twicet
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 03:28 pm
the day's proclivity
was to hit seventy
the thermometer marked it so
i stripped to my sleeves